Sign in to follow this  
bell

The Johnny Cash tractor

bell

A while back, I was inspired by the Cadillac song (by Johnny Cash) to build a version of that famous Cadillac... using a Wheel Horse. My first (failed) attempt was using a 401 carcase. It just didn't speak to me, so it was lovingly pulled apart and stashed away.

Recently, one of my tractors out back has been "speaking" to me. It's been so bad the past couple days that I had a HARD time trying to get to sleep. I'd just lay there for hours thinking about how I was going to build it.

Today was the day! I put in a J.C. CD, CRANKED IT UP and started with this '62 Lawn ranger body on a '65-ish frame that I picked up at the local flea market. Heck of a start already! :notworthy:

johnnycash_001.jpg

With the addition of this M8 (it's a 1984, BTW) that I picked up a month or so ago on the local classifieds and some other odds and ends, I had a running/ driving tractor in about 2 hours.

johnnycash_004.jpg

johnnycash_002.jpg

johnnycash_003.jpg

bell

The next order of business was to address the hood. I really wanted a different look here, so I dragged out my stash of hacked hoods.

johnnycash_005.jpg

I decided that the Suburban grille ('61) would give it that 701 look and the Lawn Ranger hood ('67) was a solid/ straight starting point. A little cut and chop left me with 2 VERY workable pieces...

johnnycash_006.jpg

A couple hours of bead blasting and a few tack welds and we're getting somewhere...

johnnycash_011.jpg

johnnycash_009.jpg

johnnycash_010.jpg

I'm REALLY diggin' the look of that W I D E front axle under that narrow hood... I think it's going to look GREAT with the 23X10.50 AGs out back! :thumbs:

More tomorrow! :notworthy:

whfan74

Good start Jon! :notworthy: Now it looks like you are having some fun!!!!!

stevebo

looks like a mini 520 with a swept front end.

Save Old Iron

:notworthy: :thumbs:

Coadster32

It does look really good. I like the stamped front end of a Suburban. :notworthy:

Duff

Johnny (moment of reverent silence, please!) is looking down on this project and I'm sure he's grinning from ear to ear! :thumbs:

Duff :notworthy:

jpmcleod

Bell. Glad to see someone else using left over parts to make his own Johnny Cash tractor. I basically am doing the same with a 312-8. The PO left it out in the weather and the hood and fender pan was really rusty. I had a set of Surburban round fenders and an older WH hood in premo shape. Well, I got them together and my wife calls it the Bat Mobile because the fenders look like Bat Wings. I think it is going to be really nice. Nice job on your project. I see a lot of fine looking tractors in your collection.

sawhorse

He got it one piece at a time. And it didn't cost him a dime.... it was a

66, 67,68, 69 Wheel Horse automobile! :notworthy:

Rollerman

Looks good Jon...I'm likeing the solid front.

bell

Thanks fellas!

I didn't make much progress today... I went road trippin' with my brother to pick up some green & yellow stuff... (He's a JD collector)

I did, however, mount up the 23x10.50's on 300 series wheels to make sure they will clear. I'm toying around with the idea of using 26x12's, but I think the 10.50's will do.

My trusty shop dog "pee-wee" thought he would like to be in the pic... :notworthy:

johnnycash_013.jpg

I also got the exhaust tacked together... It's a AC-1 tractor muffler.

johnnycash_015.jpg

Instead of using a 90* elbow, I used 2 45* elbows for a smoother transition into the muffler.

johnnycash_014.jpg

And, a "in the weeds" shot...

johnnycash_017.jpg

Tomorrow, I will be breaking it all down for prep and paint... More tomorrow!

bell

Okay, today's progress...

I spent the morning running errands and gathering paint, sandpaper, stainless hardware, etc. So, I got a bit of a late start.

I stripped it all down to prepare for paint... (Man, I love these older tractors. I had it stripped in about an hour!)

johnnycash_018.jpg

The bead blast pile...

johnnycash_019.jpg

The weld, hammer and dolly pile...

johnnycash_020.jpg

All cleaned/ sanded and ready for primer and paint...

johnnycash_021.jpg

I just came in from painting it. Tomorrow, I'll start blasting and painting all the pieces.

MORE TOMORROW!!!

tranders

Looking forward to seeing further progress.

rickv1957

Looks like you have a great start there! :notworthy:

bustedglass

Looking GOOD . :WRS: That is going to be one :notworthy: looking :thumbs: .

bell

Thanks fellers!

Here's today's progress...

johnnycash_022.jpg

Please disregard the dirty tires... I usually leave them somewhat dirty, because I KNOW I'll be getting them dirty. :thumbs:

johnnycash_023.jpg

johnnycash_025.jpg

johnnycash_026.jpg

Wow, a camera flash does some strange stuff to pics of shiny red stuff... :notworthy:

Indy w h

I fell in to a burning ring of fire. And I love that black frame!!

In memory of j.c. The man in black

keep it going

Indy

:notworthy:

bitten

'I went out walking through streets paved in gold lifted the stones and the skin and bones of a city with out a soul' Who cares if the tires are dirty? Looking very cool.

Gene_S

Jon,

I bet you'd go to "folsom prison" if a couple of the WH police on here see that... :thumbs: Johnny Cash was a great singer.

Nothin better then making a machine live again, and in custom fashion!!! :notworthy:

If you need a set of hood bolts for that beast just let me know, I'll make you a good deal! You have been a good customer buyin them from me!

Thanks,

Gene :WRS:

bell

Bring on the WH police... :WRS:

Gene, I still have a few sets of hood bolts on standby.... I'll probably be ordering more soon though! :thumbs:

Heading out to the shop right now! :notworthy:

bell

Here's this morning's progress...

johnnycash_028.jpg

johnnycash_030.jpg

bell

Here's how far I got after I caught my second wind...

johnnycash_031.jpg

johnnycash_032.jpg

I'll be painting the gas cap black tomorrow. It just doesn't look right.

johnnycash_034.jpg

whfan74

That looks sweet Jon!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really like the looks of the red rims with the black tractor. That thing looks tough! Can't wait to see the finishing touches! You don't mess around do ya????????

bell

Thanks! I'll have more tomorrow!

I've been on vacation all week, so I've been able to dedicate the whole week to it.

There is a trick to doing them fast. Don't get too picky. (I have a hard time with this sometimes) :notworthy:

linen beige

There is a trick to doing them fast. Don't get too picky.

You still talking tractors? :notworthy:

Looking good!