Sign in to follow this  
earlleecliffton

uni drive

earlleecliffton

is there any whay to tell what year it is. it has sticker that says, pat pending.

MikesRJ

That depends on what machine you are looking at. Posting a picture would help a lot.

earlleecliffton

dont have a pic. thats just it, i dont know what its out of for sure. my 856 has a s.n .on it.

oldandred

dont have a pic. thats just it, i dont know what its out of for sure. my 856 has a s.n .on it.

the three speed 5007 tranny used changed numbers a few times but the main one was used from 1961 in the 551 and 701 untill 1969 usedlast in the work horse 700

like I said this number changed a few times but the same tranny

TT

my 856 has a s.n .on it.

If you're talking about this sticker:

unidrivepatents-1.jpg

that's the patent number issued to the Ponds for the Uni-Drive design and is no help in identifying the model number of the transaxle.

earlleecliffton

no,it says pat pending

TT

These are the only two other patent stickers I've seen:

52508misc013.jpg

Patentnew.jpg

I guess you'll just have to get some pictures. :scratchead:

Duff

From what I recall of Patent Law, what Earle may have is an "in between" decal Wheel Horse may have used, probably for a very short run. "Patent Applied For" would warn competitors that their design had already been filed with the US Patent Office. "Patent Pending" would mean the Patent Office had received the application and given it tentative approval while they completed their process. The final decal would have the number granted by the Patent Office. "Patent Pending" would not only keep competitors at bay, but would also suggest to buyers that the Government had judged their product worthy of patent consideration, an advertising plus.

'Course this is memory from a law course I took some years ago, so it's not gospel by any means!

Duff :scratchead:

earlleecliffton

YOUR RIGHT PATEND APPLIED FOR. iS THAT ANY INDICATION OF WHAT YEAR IT IS ???? IT ALSO HAD 3 BOLT HUBS AT ONE TIME

TT

Going by what I have seen on mine, it would either be a 1961 or early 1962. (I'm pretty sure the patent number was issued/printed on the sticker sometime in 1962)

earlleecliffton

thanx

SilviaMan

I have a quick question for you guys about a uni drive transmission.

I have an extra one here at the shop and I was planning on taking it apart to store the extra parts. The one case half is trashed, but I digress.

Would you all be interested in having the bearing part numbers so that new ones could be sourced from a list on here rather than having to tear it down to find the numbers?

I should have time to do this, this week if you all would like that list.