Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

building a clone 702

Kelly

OK guys I might be wrong in doing this but, I can't find a lauson/tec. that fits the bill. But I do have a S/G 6-7-8 hp kohler that has been gone though, not by me will need to be checked out. but it is complete with S/G and belt gaurd, carb carter model N, I have the coil bracket to mount the coil on the pan, I think I have a drive belt gaurd for a kohler to fit that tractor, I know I need to change the ign. switch to batt. style, but do I need to remove the starter button? I think I do. Is the hole covered by the shift decal after that? I think I seen that in another post. It needs new cables anyway so that's not a big deal, What about the amp gauge? The rest of the tractor is pretty nice if you look past the sufface rust very straight and all there minus the engine, steering cap, most of the seat cover still there,(cant see it under the nice seat I picked up at the junk yard) the seat pan is rusty from water under the cover but as I said I have another. the little cap on the lift lever, the tires have no dry rot, all 4 are like new the fronts still have the nubs on them worn down but still there. Any help in knowing what to collect for the clone would be great. I like to gather as many parts for a project as I can before I start it, sometimes it goes better that way.

552.jpg

TT

You pretty much hit everything, Kelly.

The push button (dimmer switch :thumbs: ) starter button stays and the correct key switch is a two terminal on/off battery ignition unit with the "split" key.

You'll get to keep the amp gauge and wire the tractor accordingly. You might luck out and find a harness, or just make up your own since they're so simple. The last part would be the belt guard -- you can add a tab to the current guard or install a guard from a 702/753/854/855, etc.

If you need help with it let me know -- I have all three of the '62 models here to peek at. :thumbs:

sorekiwi

I'd go for it Kelly, the 5.5 hp Tecumseh is as rare as hens teeth. I have one on my 502, but struggle with the usual Tecumseh carb related problems. I'd love to convert it to a Kohler, but since I have the origonal motor I feel I should stick with it.

Of course you could use an H60, and it would look origonal, but I think the Kohlers are vastly superior

The handgrip on the top of the lift lever is still available, cant remember the price but it wasnt stupid.

TT

I actually have an HH-60 from a 1963 Sears tractor on my 502. One of these days I'll get the big aluminum starter for on it and get everything painted red so it matches. :thumbs:

What someone needs to do is get the guy selling the virgin 551 on ebay to take REALLY GOOD photos of the engine shroud decals so they can be reproduced!

By the way -- the little plunger rod cap on the lift lever is P/N 105316 (about 60 cents each) and the grip is P/N 6542 (less than $5.00). The little cap is also used on the end of the "dial-a-hite" rod on the lift lever.

Kelly

I know I can still get some of the parts, I was just stating that they were still there not missing like most.

But like my Raider 12 that I'm restoring I ordered a new hand grip, and the one I recieved was different than the orig. one.very diff. same with a few other parts I ordered new the replacments are not like the factory stuff.

I will probably put the kohler on it, I've looked for a year for the 5.5 lauson with no luck, I have a h60 off a snow blower, but I realy don't care for the tec. motors I'm sure they are good motors but the carb problems stink, I have a nice 656 that needs carb. work, I rebuilt the carb. completely pulled the welsh plugs cleaned it very good, still runs bad. Maybe it's something else not the carb. like my 1075.

I'll dig in to it when it's warmer.

TT

That's the superceeded numbers for ya, Kelly. The old handgrip was P/N 1000 and is NLA. P/N 6542 is a handgrip too, but it's actually the new design of the 300/400/500 models grip.

I think you'll enjoy the Kohler much more than the Lauson (Tecumseh) engine.

I almost forgot.....

You'll also need the thin air cleaner assembly if your engine is 1965 or newer. (the thick one will hit the back of the grille :thumbs: )

BPjunk

Kelly,

Restoring is a game of patiences, many parts have taken me a long time to get and H-55's are still out there for a 552 or 502. The model 552 you have in the picture is well wrth restoring back to orginal, these early Tecumseh models were not as popular but are harder to find and makes them more interesting. I am trying to complete a collection of 5.5 to 7hp Tecumseh powered Wheel Horse models AND have them running .... so ya' know I got patiences! :thumbs::D:thumbs:

Bill in Richmond, Va.

sorekiwi

I am trying to complete a collection of 5.5 to 7hp Tecumseh powered Wheel Horse models AND have them running .... so ya' know I got patiences! :thumbs::P:D

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Bill, you not only have patiences, YOU ARE A MASOCHIST! :P

Every time I waste yet another afternoon pulling that POS Tecumseh carb apart for the 150th time I swear I'll do an engine swap. :thumbs:

FWIW I am almost positive that a 6hp EH17 Subaru Robin engine would slide on in there with no issues, and that engine is sweet.... :D

I'd probably paint it red before I put it in.

TT

Every time I waste yet another afternoon pulling that POS Tecumseh carb apart for the 150th time I swear I'll do an engine swap. :thumbs:

I was seriously going to do that swap on my 502 -- until I bought a real 702.

I have an 1963 HH60 on mine that runs like a top -- except for the raw oil that drools out of the breather. :P:D

It takes fits sometimes and I have to twist the high speed screw around a little to calm it down. I have actually been thinking about adapting a small Carter carb from a Kohler on to the Tecumseh. :thumbs:

Maybe I'll just have to "dig into it" and see if it will cure it. (and find out why the oil doesn't want to stay INSIDE the engine. :wtf: )

Kelly

I have many other tractors in line before this one Bill, So in the mean time I may find the correct engine, and learn to figure out the carb, and other little problems with these engines, I was just today telling my boy Nick that if it wasn't raining cats and dogs we'd swap the 1075 out of the shop for the 656 and see if I couldn't figure out why it doesn't run very good.

But it rained all day and melted about 2or3 inch. of our 8to10 inches we had and made a muddy mess out of my back drive.

I'm thinking of putting a temp. batt. ign. on it to rule out the ign. system, becuase I've had 3 carbs on it now and it runs about the same with each.

Anyway if I do make it a 702 it could still be changed back to a 552 some day.

sorekiwi

[i have an 1963 HH60 on mine that runs like a top -- except for the raw oil that drools out of the breather. :D:thumbs:

It takes fits sometimes and I have to twist the high speed screw around a little to calm it down. I have actually been thinking about adapting a small Carter carb from a Kohler on to the Tecumseh. :thumbs:

Maybe I'll just have to "dig into it" and see if it will cure it. (and find out why the oil doesn't want to stay INSIDE the engine. :wtf: )

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about it puking oil all over the place. And it almost seems that when it running well, it's puking more...

The best small engine stuff I have found is here: http://www.perr.com/forum/

Apparently these engines are really picky about oil level, so after you go through all the steps of new filters in the breather, making sure the drain hole for the breather is on the bottom, no air leaks into the crankcase etc etc you just decide you probably put an ounce too much oil in the motor and give up.

There's a lot of info amongst those forums on Tecumseh carb problems too. With help from there I got my H55 to progress from not wanting to start and running very poorly, to starting great and running poorly only sometimes.

It actually ran pretty well on a Carter carb from a K161 I had lying around. I took it off because I couldnt get the choke and throttle linkages to look anything like origional. Heres a link to a guy that has new carbs that are supposedly good for our application: http://www.ruppparts.com/images.aspx?imgNa...69_5hp_carb.jpg

They were about $60 last time I checked (a couple of months ago). Its very similar to the one on my motor, although the throttle arm is slightly different.

Mike

Kelly

I think that guy has had them on ebay I looked at them for my 656 but didn't want to spend that much yet. I had a person tell me to put a briggs carb on it, He said he does it all the time(doesn't care what it looks like just wants it to run) But I don't have any of them. I hate to sell this tractor(656) as it's a very nice one just needs to run better or at all, most of the time It will start and set there and idle but that's it.

TT

I think what "put the hurts" to my HH60 was my (ex) step-son. He "bought" the Sears tractor from me and took it to his dad's to ride through the woods, etc.

Apparently he got a little too rough with it and broke the transaxle. :D:P He told me they were going to junk it, so I asked him to save the engine for me. (it ran PERFECT when it left here)

My guess is that he was using the governor arm as a hand throttle and it broke a ring. (or two) :D

I have been through the external stuff (breather, dipstick tube, etc. ) and haven't found any problems there. Since it happened suddenly, I figure it must be internal. :thumbs:

I have the breather tube extended with metal gas line so it doesn't slobber oil all over the frame rails -- and will probably get around to fixing in about 10 years. :thumbs:

sorekiwi

I think that guy has had them on ebay.

Yes, he does. His name is Brandt, and he seems pretty knowledgable about Tecumsehs. He owns a 551, so he cant be all bad... :thumbs:

Try a carb off one of the smaller Kohlers, it will bolt right on.

All this Tecumseh discussion has got me thinking about that Robin engine again...

Rollerman

Kelly you probably missed it when you were here....but I have a 702 in a box.

I should get busy & get it prepped for paint...been in that box a long time. :thumbs:

If I see any H-55 stuff I'll besure to pass it on to you.