Sign in to follow this  
Rogue

6-speed and 8-speed question

Rogue

This may sound silly... But after looking at the tranny manuals I'm having trouble seeing a difference between the following transmissions. Can anyone give me some insight as to why one is referred to as a 6speed and the other an 8 when the ratio's appear to be the same. Also, is there a "better of the two scenario"?

Thank you for any help you may be.

(Pg.32) 5060 6-speed limited slip differential

RATIOS

Gear High Range low Range

1st gear 66.8 to 1 267.2 to 1

2nd gear 42.4 to 1 169.6 to 1

3rd gear 24.6 to 1 98.4 to 1

Reverse 51.5 to 1 206.0 to 1

(Pg.50) 5073 8-speed limited slip differential

RATIOS 8-SPEED TRANSMISSION

Gear High Range low Range

1st gear 66.8 to 1 267.2 to 1

2nd gear 42.4 to 1 169.6 to 1

3rd gear 24.6 to 1 98.4 to 1

Reverse 51.5 to 1 206.0 to 1

TT

Starting in 1973, high and low reverse were counted as "speeds" (no one ever said in what direction "speeds" had to be :scratchead: ) for a grand total of 8.

It's my guess that it was a marketing ploy by WH and nothing more. ("Our transmission has more speeds than brand X.")

With proper maintenance, the most reliable and durable manual transaxle is the 8 speed Uni-Drive with 1 1/8" axles and the 8 pinion differential. They are normally found in the majority of the C series tractors, the 400/500 series and the '76/'77 B-60/80/100 models.

Rogue

Thanks TT :scratchead: I very much appreciate the explaination. One more question... Do you happen to know if the 5060 6-speed is problematic?

TT

One more question... Do you happen to know if the 5060 6-speed is problematic?

If they are properly maintained and used normally (no heavy "jerking" from pulling) they have a very long lifespan. I know of quite a few from the late 60's that are still going strong! :scratchead:

The biggest problem with all 6 & 8 speed transaxles is shifting the range selector without completely stopping which can result in gear damage and/or a bent/broken shift fork.

Rogue

Thanks TT :scratchead:

Great information. Very much appreciated.

Thank you.