Jump to content
Bar Nuthin

My first starter-generator. Is it loud?

Recommended Posts

Bar Nuthin

This is my first tractor with a generator. It starts and charges good, but I'm wondering how quiet it should be.

In my opinion, it is whining more than it should (if at all).

Also, there seems to be some noise from the belt slapping the guard. I tightened the belt, but it still seems make some noise and there a black streak at the top side of the guard on the inside.

Should there be any belt slap at all? Maybe the guard is just misaligned slightly?

 

Ideally, it would be pretty quiet, but maybe I'm just wishing.

 

I'm not sure if I can pick the sound up on a video, but I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Edited by Bar Nuthin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pfrederi

Does the guard get hot at the the area that has the black mark.  Belt may rub on the guard can take some work to get  the guard away from the belt.Things get bent misaligned over the years

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX??
22 minutes ago, Bar Nuthin said:

it is whining more than it should

Yep bad bearing if whining at all. Sometimes it will go away but then come back or I have had them whine ... go away then not come back. Strange had them that  were not noisy when put away for winter but then whine when comes out. 

Easy enough to replace but be ready for black fingers when you open them up. Or wear gloves. Real common 6302 or  ....crs ...6203 bearing. Get them on fleabay then do the Greasy Pete repack.  Need any help I done zillions of them. Bulk of my tractors are SGs. 

 

Yeah belt guards are notorious for coming loose and rattlin around. Watch for pully burn marks too. Mostly on the SG. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
wallfish

:text-yeahthat: to both of those posts. 

Any black powder from any belt is rubbing. Not sure what you mean by "black streak" but assuming it's belt powder.

No belt slap on a SG. It's short enough and should be tight enough to be like a guitar string. Tweaking the guard position should solve any rubbing or you have the wrong belt. I prefer the 31.5" x 3/8 raw edge cog belts  for the K181s. Something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200779063408?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Bar Nuthin
25 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Does the guard get hot at the the area that has the black mark.

Yep. Looking at it again, where it gets warm and has black streak on the inside - I just noticed that the paint is slightly discolored on the outside.

 

22 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Yep bad bearing if whining at all.

That actually makes me feel better. Rather find a noise I can fix, rather than one I would just have to live with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Bar Nuthin
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

I prefer the 31.5" x 3/8 raw edge cog belts  for the K181

 

Pretty sure what is on it currently is 1/2". I'll have to check the length tomorrow. It's a K161.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
wallfish
6 minutes ago, Bar Nuthin said:

 

Pretty sure what is on it currently is 1/2". I'll have to check the length tomorrow. It's a K161.

Should be the same as a 8

The belt should be pretty skinny and fit down inside of the groove of the pulleys. 3/8"

The cog belts grip tighter on the smaller generator pulley than a solid belt does. They should be raw edge too as you don't want any slipping of it

A 1/2 belt would cause the issues you have

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX??
8 minutes ago, Bar Nuthin said:

have to live with.

:text-yeahthat:I have ran noisy SGs for a long time. Good intentions on fixing but then some other project pops up. then I hop on that tractor and mutter i really should fix that ... some day ... :lol:

 'Fish is 100% 3/8. You ever order and get those belts John? Their almost given them away. Wasn't it @Sparky that paid way more for a NAPA? 

 I'm always leary about ordering/getting belts online. never seem to get the right one. 

Annotation 2020-08-25 081352.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
wallfish
7 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I have ran noisy SGs for a long time.

Me too. Got one now that makes noise on a 855 but starts right up, generates and just keeps on going. I'll change those SG bearings when it finally needs the engine pulled which I thought would've been 2-3 years ago. Sh** like that don't bother me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Bar Nuthin
12 minutes ago, wallfish said:

I'll change those SG bearings when it finally needs the engine pulled

 

The whole tractor will likely be coming apart this winter, so maybe I'll save that project until then.

 

  I made the mistake of telling my wife I was getting a tractor like this one.              And came home with this one. I've yet to convince her that patina is awesome :angry-banghead:

IMG_5773.jpg.8ec50a335421d2b285b38af2eec17bc8.jpg            548520302_787208353_2501079137085163_4258900453928925292_n(1).jpg.110e905f0203baa36b6f00a695009225.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
wallfish
5 minutes ago, Bar Nuthin said:

I've yet to convince her that patina is awesome :angry-banghead:

Tell her to pull it all apart and do all the work to make it "pretty" , suddenly she'll agree that patina is pretty too! LOL

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Bar Nuthin
5 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Tell her to pull it all apart and do all the work to make it "pretty"

 

Are you kidding?  She'd have it decorated with flowers and have pumpkin spice scent coming out of the exhaust! :ROTF:

It was torture enough letting her decorate my tractors for Independence Day!

520410189_IMG_0920(1).jpg.07b1f1aafeef89536ce19a262ac397f5.jpg

 

Edited by Bar Nuthin
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
wallfish
4 minutes ago, Bar Nuthin said:

 

Are you kidding?  She'd have it decorated with flowers and have pumpkin spice scent coming out of the exhaust! :ROTF:

:ROTF:Well, at least she'd be busy doing that instead of telling you how to do other stuff

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...