Jump to content
Racinbob

Summer Project

Recommended Posts

Racinbob

The boss wanted the front porch/deck spruced up since it was getting pretty ratty and she's getting tired of restaining it every year. She wanted composite so we bit the bullet and after much research went with Trex. If the cost of the actual decking doesn't kill you the additional odds and ends will do the job. Started with this.

 

1476457468_FrontPorcha.jpg.787b4ba290e3a8fbf7fb2eb417956eee.jpg

 

As with most projects preparation is key and often time consuming. Composite requires a minimum of 16" c/c joists and we had 24" so I added a joist in between the existing. Looking in the window you'll see that I was closely supervised along the way.

 

1642226127_Porcha.jpeg.48cad6e7264b77d364b13f0a67f8e89b.jpeg175354385_Porchb.jpeg.f027505316a676ae1bd3c90337545bfa.jpeg

 

Some (many) of the existing joists were marginal so I replaced them. I should have just torn is all off and started from scratch. I ladder back from each post to the house so I could 'picture frame' the new decking. I'm thinking it was a step that was more work than it was worth. Finally got it done, coated and ready for the new planks. 

Deck_Ready.jpg.d36a1a2443c01582272e878f1cf5c179.jpg976465190_Deck1.jpeg.8172442869212989d4e9df854ecaeaed.jpeg

 

I didn't take many pictures along the way so I just fast forwarded to the final project. Railing, post wraps and redesigned steps. 

 

Deck_100926_a.jpg.7b95484ed315bb8b7e9eb6d5d3a38fd6.jpgDeck_100926_b.jpg.7f93a92d2848ead41f1fbda023db4558.jpg

 

I didn't expect this to take as long as it did between the weather, a host of other projects and the fact that I don't get the mileage that I used to it consumed a large part of the summer. 

 

Next summer the rear deck gets the same treatment. It will be even more involved as it is larger and I want to tear down or move that funky structure. 

 

12.jpg.4944a0d678c4a9fcbca4f8ca6ad18a4c.jpg

  • Excellent 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ri702bill

Excellent work! Glad to see you used the joist tape too. I do see some blocking between the joists in the joists between the door and window - did you add blocking thruout? It makes a huge difference in lateral rigidity. I finished redoing the large country L shaped porch last year at my rental. The 3/4" T&G fir decking was rotted, as were a couple of joists in the corner. It had perimeter framing in sections, no blocking and no footings in the middle of the runs. It was rather springy when it was in good condition 50 years ago! I did both, along with doubling up the joists above the footing supports in front of the doors, I figured that was where the max loading and traffic would be - moving appliances in and out and such. Rock solid now.

 

976465190_Deck1.jpeg.8172442869212989d4e9df854ecaeaed.jpeg

  • Excellent 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Racinbob

That's Fastenmaster deck frame coating. It flows into the old screw holes, cracks and crevasses real nice. The blocking you see is where I laddered back from each post allowing a board to run from the post to the house. It is purely cosmedic and blends with the perimeter non-grooved board. With no more span than there is and 12" o/c additional blocking wasn't needed and it's rock solid. 

I've done a tremendous amount of decking over the years but this was the first time I've used composite. It's the same as using treated yet entirely different in ways. There's things I'd do different and mistakes along the way that shouldn't happen when I do the deck in the back next summer. The important thing is that I got an atta-boy and a grin from the boss lady. :D

 

I've got the winter to think about that project. I think the hardest part might be getting that structure off the deck. Ideally it should be moved but I just don't see that happening. Most likely it will be piece by piece into a dumpster.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
953 nut

The deck looks great Bob.

I can't do heavy work like that any more so I got bids for replacing the old PT decking with Trex. An inspection of the framing reveled some serious degradation of the majority of the joists so we had the deck removed and a paver patio put in, love it. The deck dominated our small back yard and the patio allows us to enjoy  the deer and other critters that come through.

  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Racinbob

I hear that Richard. I'm fortunate that I can still do some fairly heavy work but not a hard days heavy work. More like a hard half day. :rolleyes:

 

Concrete might be an option for us in the back. My wife like that idea but I'm on the fence. The nice thing about it is that I wouldn't do the concrete and could sit looking out the window like the dog at the workers. That still leaves the tear out. That house window directly behind the structure is the family room. It blocks the view. :sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
953 nut

A lot of decisions to be made. If it is practical, the screen room could be moved behind the garage, it looks like a keeper to me.

We had a small covered porch that will accommodate a couple of chairs before I built the deck and we kept that. Bering at floor level I can go to the porch with my walker and go down two steps to the patio.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ri702bill

The word on the street is that Trex or any of the composites require you to seal any cut ends because they are basically plastic coated compressed glued sawdust on the inside...

Why not move the offending structure over to be in front of the two garage windows instead? A screened in sun room is a nice feature during the summer... a comfortable living space on the inside, bugs on the outside...

I did not see an outdoor gas grill in back - a word of caution if you have one on a Trex surface. Grease drippings from the grill that land on the decking will leave stubborn, almost non removable stains. Home stores sell a containment tray that the grill sits on - it looks like an oversized boot tray.

953 types faster than I do......

Edited by ri702bill
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...