CSB80 9 #1 Posted Saturday at 11:45 PM Just purchased this from my neighbor. Always wanted one since I was a kid, and seeing my grandpa with older tractors. Came with a plow, and mower deck. Neighbor said it hadn't ran in 3 years. Changed fuel, oil, and transmission oil, new spark and fired right up. Did just recently clean the carb. Only issue I'm having is, it seems like it's surging. Any ideas? Thank you all. Wanting to tear it apart this winter and restore it. 1 8 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,386 #2 Posted yesterday at 12:22 AM I just picked up a B-80 myself! Great little tractor! Did everything you did as well. Had to soak the carb 3 times before it ran. Change entire fuel line, filter, and the fuel shut off / rubber grommet at tank. Clean out the gas tank - a couple times... Replace the whole petcock / grommet etc. Old fuel line will keep feeding the carb a steady stream of gunk... Also, adjust the governor. Surging went away for me when I did that. 3 4 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ineedanother 2,857 #3 Posted yesterday at 01:20 AM Excellent! Post the model and spec # for the tractor and engine. Download manuals from this site and look through them. Verify that the governor is adjusted correctly and focus on the fuel system to stop the surging. Other advice will be coming... 4 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Retired Wrencher 6,966 #4 Posted yesterday at 10:07 AM (edited) I have a friend who does my carbs. I have dropsies syndrome.. He has this machine that the carb sits in warm fluid, cleans all ports. And he also checks for worn parts meaning out of speck. Hope this helps. Edited 10 hours ago by Retired Wrencher 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,498 #5 Posted yesterday at 11:35 AM 11 hours ago, CSB80 said: this The B80 models are excellent. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
rjg854 13,333 #6 Posted yesterday at 11:54 AM all great advice so far. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 68,965 #7 Posted yesterday at 12:03 PM Surging is likely a fuel to air ratio problem. I have had success eliminating these problems by using alcohol-free gas https://www.pure-gas.org/ and adding Berrymans B-12 fuel additive at double the recommended rate for a couple of tanks of gas to get the small passages in the carburetor clean. 2 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
parsonsponyz 407 #8 Posted yesterday at 12:06 PM to Red Square. Enjoy your nice tractor. 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
sqrlgtr 3,838 #9 Posted yesterday at 12:10 PM 11 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said: . Old fuel line will keep feeding the carb a steady stream of gunk... After cleaning carb,I have found most fuel related problems can be attributed to this. I will add fuel pump is often full of gunk also which will keep filling carb up with junk untill cleaned up/rebuilt. 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,498 #10 Posted yesterday at 01:46 PM 1 hour ago, sqrlgtr said: After cleaning carb,I have found most fuel related problems can be attributed to this. I will add fuel pump is often full of gunk also which will keep filling carb up with junk untill cleaned up/rebuilt. I've concluded over the last decade that a total cleaning and replacement of the entire fuel system is a necessity on a tractor (or any machine) that's new to us. 2 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Retired Wrencher 6,966 #12 Posted 10 hours ago 19 hours ago, ebinmaine said: I've concluded over the last decade that a total cleaning and replacement of the entire fuel system is a necessity on a tractor (or any machine) that's new to us. I can agree to that Eric. Ever since I started using non-ethanol fuel things have changed for the better. Quicker starts nice smooth running engines. I give it an A+. 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
peter lena 10,043 #13 Posted 5 hours ago @CSB80 since cleaning out my tanks ,and related years ago , new hoses , filters and check valves , and adding STA BIL ,AN OUNCE OR TWO to every tank top off , guess what ? no fuel hose break down or related debris , also have a clear end to carb short hose , with a check valve , and filter , ? so I can see clear standing fuel up to carb ! carb bowls have ZERO DEBRIS IN THEM , like all my TRIALS , ELIMINATE A REPEDITIVE ISSUE ! in my own opinion , using this mind set as applied to other issues , break them down at every stage , enhance / verify continuation of action . BTW lubricated , choke and throttle cables , come to easy life with light spring pull to close/ stop point , that way any usage , has pull assist , pete Share this post Link to post Share on other sites