Handy Don 17,454 #51 Posted 23 hours ago 1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said: 2. I use a 15mm socket backwards on a 1/2" socket wrench/ torque to tighten / loosen the axle set screws with the funky square head. The set screw head fits perfectly on the 1/2" side and the 1/2" socket wrench holds perfectly on the 15 mm side. And here I’ve been making do with a plain old ½” open-end wrench! 3 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,445 #52 Posted 22 hours ago 48 minutes ago, Handy Don said: And here I’ve been making do with a plain old ½” open-end wrench! Your arm torque-omitor is clearly superior to mine... 1 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Lee1977 7,764 #53 Posted 21 hours ago If I'm not mistaken all my hub set screws are 3/8" with a 3/8" square head. Never seen a 3/8" set screw with a 1/2" square head, they could make them I guess. I do know they make 3/8" socket sets in metric. I did try the 1/2"socket wrench into a 15 mm 12 point socket it fit. All my 3/8" drive sockets are 6 point, none fit. 2 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,579 #54 Posted 21 hours ago 1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said: Your arm torque-omitor is clearly superior to mine... Remember you're supposed to tighten loosen tighten loosen tighten loosen so the set screw has a little Groove to sit into. You definitely want to go back and tighten that after driving around for 15 to 30 minutes maximum. 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Handy Don 17,454 #55 Posted 21 hours ago 16 minutes ago, Lee1977 said: all my hub set screws are 3/8" with a 3/8" square head Excellent point. No wonder the ½” wrench doesn’t work that well!! 1 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
SylvanLakeWH 32,445 #56 Posted 20 hours ago (edited) 20 minutes ago, Lee1977 said: If I'm not mistaken all my hub set screws are 3/8" with a 3/8" square head. Never seen a 3/8" set screw with a 1/2" square head, they could make them I guess. I do know they make 3/8" socket sets in metric. I did try the 1/2"socket wrench into a 15 mm 12 point socket it fit. All my 3/8" drive sockets are 6 point, none fit. 3 minutes ago, Handy Don said: Excellent point. No wonder the ½” wrench doesn’t work that well!! yup I have a 1/2" brain... meant 3/8"... thx for the catch... (corrected original post...) @Handy Don feel free to continue using 1/2"... Edited 20 hours ago by SylvanLakeWH 1 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Lee1977 7,764 #57 Posted 20 hours ago (edited) I think I do have a 3/8" official set screw wrench in my dads toolbox. It will take half an hour to clean off the box and find it to take a picture. This is just a test picture of some homemade roller axles to see if I can post. Org has been playing games with me. I think they still owe me for the $71 a month they paid 67 me and 68. Here is the 3/8" square wrench, It is the one with T handle. the big end on the small wrenchs is 5/16" the other end of one is 1/4" and the other is 3/16". Edited 19 hours ago by Lee1977 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Lee1977 7,764 #58 Posted 18 hours ago I found the 3/8" set screw wrench in my father in laws toolbox. Sorry didn't a 1/2", but I did find something that would work. Montgomery Wards Lakeside pipe wrench 2 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,579 #59 Posted 6 hours ago I have 8 sided sockets for set screws. Much easier. They came in a set of tools my mom bought for me when I was in my late teens or early 20s. 1 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
sqrlgtr 3,856 #60 Posted 2 hours ago These are what I use for square head bolts. I work on a lot of wore out I mean antique farm equipment and back in the day they used a lot of square (four point) head bolts. BTW neat little tractor and in my experience those little 8hp's punch way above their weight class. Williams JHWWSBD-7RC SuperTorque 7-Piece 3/8-Inch Drive 8 Point Socket Set Lobular Openings Chamfered Ends High Polish Chrome Finish - Amazon.com 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,089 #61 Posted 1 hour ago @roadapples came up with an idea I have used for years. Put the 3/8" square drive end of a 3/8" allen socket on the head of the set screw, place a 1/2" drive 3/8" socket on the allen wrench and use your 1/2" torque wrench to properly torque the set screw. Thanks Jay @roadapples, we miss you. 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites