wallfish 20,576 #26 Posted September 14 3 hours ago, ML3 said: 5 hours ago, wallfish said: I believe the RJ/Suburban rear wheel weights could be used on the inside or outside of wheels??? Yes, they're designed for the inside but will fit on the outside as well Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Dave D. 87 #27 Posted September 14 I'll have to look at that screw. Thanks, Dave Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Dave D. 87 #28 Posted September 14 28 minutes ago, wallfish said: Sure looks like a regular old bolt in there. Here's the screw that fits the shifter donut properly https://www.mcmaster.com/products/dog-points/steel-extended-tip-set-screws-1~~/ Wow!, good call! That does look like a regular bolt. I see Wheel Horse Parts and More has these at $2.00. https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/1239-screw-and-nut-wheel-horse/ Maybe it should be this. Starting to make more sense all along. Thanks for the info. Dave Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
oliver2-44 11,731 #29 Posted September 14 To get it going you can grind the threads of the front sides of a regular bolt to make it look like a dog point set screw. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Dave D. 87 #30 Posted September 14 Making up a list of parts needed. Those dog point screws are cheap enough to get 25. Worked on the Suburban 551 steering wheel today. All sanded and now primed in. Next will be the bed liner spayed on it. Looking better all the time. Tomorrow, I'll put on the Rust Oleum bed liner. Where do I need to source the axle bushings and seals for the transmission? Wondering if a rebuild kit is in order? Never dug into a transmission before. Gonna be doing other projects for a week. I'll be watching for responses. Thanks for all the advice and information. Dave 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
wallfish 20,576 #31 Posted September 14 4 hours ago, Dave D. said: Where do I need to source the axle bushings and seals for the transmission? WH parts and more should have rebuild kits for the trans too 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Dave D. 87 #32 Posted September 24 Tractor in storage has had the diesel fuel in the trans for a week now. Steering wheel bed liner spray experiment didn't work so well. It clumped up and looked cracked. Sanding it back down and will use automotive urethane paint on it. got the steering bevel gear and the dog point screws. Getting cooler, now to get more done on this tractor. Need to get the steering box back in on the Ariens S16H and then back on this Suburban. We'll see if I can get the forks aligned and be able to shift it. Looking at the parts to rebuild the tranny and replace the seals now. Dave 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Dave D. 87 #33 Posted Sunday at 11:57 PM Got the rebuilt steering box back in the Ariens S16H, finally. Now to button it back up and then on to the 551. Watching videos on Wheel Horse Transmissions now. Going to spray PB blast on the axel flanges and let it sit for a while. Looking more doable all the time. Dave 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Dave D. 87 #34 Posted Monday at 08:32 PM Worked today on removing the bed liner from the steering wheel. The parts that went on right were fine, but some of it was clumpy and cracked up. Looking better now. Needs another coat of primer. I wish I was paid by the hour for all the sanding on this old steering wheel. Lots of time spent re-shaping it. Dave 3 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Dave D. 87 #35 Posted Tuesday at 07:28 PM Took a little time to get the transmission ready for tear down today. Pulled wheel hubs and cleaned them up and chased all the threads. Soaking the brake lever and bolts in some PB Blast. Getting this little tractor ready to get out of the container and start the rebuild. Hubs came off pretty easily. Used the puller on one, the other just slid off with a prybar after removing the retaining bolt. Dave 2 4 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Dave D. 87 #36 Posted Wednesday at 09:34 PM Looking at the rebuild of this transmission. Will I need an arbor press to install the axle shaft and other bearings? Trying to get all the stuff I need lined up. Dave Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Blaine 275 #37 Posted Wednesday at 11:46 PM Great project. I’d love to add a 551 to my collection. I made a pair of weights similar to those for my 401. Ford Taurus rotors with the vents filled with molten lead, then machined the outer edge smooth on the brake lathe for a finished look. Bolted to the wheel with 2 bolts, then sandwiched between the hub and wheel. They’re around 25 pounds each. 1 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Blaine 275 #38 Posted Wednesday at 11:52 PM Back when they were minty fresh on my 702, tires are “foam” filled also, so traction is never an issue. 2 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
pfrederi 21,143 #39 Posted yesterday at 12:07 AM 12 minutes ago, Blaine said: Back when they were minty fresh on my 702, tires are “foam” filled also, so traction is never an issue. How long ago did you get the tires foam filled? I have foam filled tires on a 6' New Holland finish mower.Over the years the foam compresses and things go south. Also leaving it parked over the winter increased the compression issue. I have to block it up now. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,100 #40 Posted yesterday at 01:08 PM 15 hours ago, Dave D. said: Looking at the rebuild of this transmission. Will I need an arbor press to install the axle shaft and other bearings? Trying to get all the stuff I need lined up. Dave Pressing the bearings into place can be done with a socket that is slightly smaller than the hole the bearing fits into. A press makes the job a bit easier but it can be done with a large "C" clamp or some gentile tapping with a hammer. Photo from @stevasaurus. Here is a link to the tutorial @stevasaurus did on the 5007 transmission. 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Dave D. 87 #41 Posted yesterday at 02:32 PM Been looking at that post. Got plenty of C clamps. Thanks, Dave 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ineedanother 2,861 #42 Posted 21 hours ago On 9/30/2026 at 5:34 PM, Dave D. said: Looking at the rebuild of this transmission. Will I need an arbor press to install the axle shaft and other bearings? Trying to get all the stuff I need lined up. Dave I get by with this slide hammer and bushing driver set. If I had a bigger shop I would prefer to have a press but that isn't happening. 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Dave D. 87 #43 Posted 20 hours ago Great information. Got a slide hammer set, C Clamps, bearing drivers also. But looking at those bearings, I started re-thinking the driving them in with a socket. I suppose you would have to be careful. All good information. Nice to hear from some who have done this before. Thinking an arbor press might also be a great addition to the shop. Never felt I could justify the room needed for a hydraulic press. Would love to have a sandblasting cabinet and press, but it would take up a lot of room. Thanks, Dave Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
oliver2-44 11,731 #44 Posted 19 hours ago I’ve done several with sockets. An Arbor press could be great but most of us don’t have one. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,100 #45 Posted 7 hours ago 12 hours ago, Dave D. said: Thinking an arbor press might also be a great addition to the shop. Never felt I could justify the room needed for a hydraulic press. Would love to have a sandblasting cabinet and press, but it would take up a lot of room. I'm thinkin' you need a bigger BOAT shop. 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Dave D. 87 #46 Posted 6 hours ago Funny! So true. Dave Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
stevasaurus 23,835 #47 Posted 1 hour ago All of the bearings will tap in easily with a small Ballpeen hammer and a good punch with a good flat end. The socket is a better choice, but will work without. The idea is to tap the baring at 12...4...8 oclock and keep the bearing straight going in. Straight is important. Not hard at all, just tap easy. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Handy Don 17,454 #48 Posted 48 minutes ago 1 hour ago, stevasaurus said: Not hard at all, just tap easy. Only on the OUTER race, of course! Share this post Link to post Share on other sites