Sign in to follow this  
hodge

computer question

hodge

I can type like nobody's business, and I can navigate pretty well on a computer, but I do not have much knowledge when it comes to function. We have a wireless router in our kitchen, but unless you are within 20 feet, service is slow or non existent. What can I do? What would Tim Allen do? Are there more powerful routers, etc.? My house is on a concrete pad, so running more phone lines isn't practical. Any info is appreciated!

Save Old Iron

Quickest answer Hodge, would be to place the router more centrally located in the house.

Many things can effect the router including cordless phones, insulation in walls with foil backing, orientation of the wireless antenna, etc. Anything that can block or interfere with a "radio" signal.

If relocation of the router is not feasible, a WAP, or wireless access point can be purchased - less than $50. Think of it as a secondary antenna tower that can be plugged into the router and positioned anywhere in the house. I actually run about 5 computers off one centrally placed WAP in the middle of the house and have access to a signal in the far end section of the basement. It's an older LinKsys WAP, I 'm sure better stuff is out there today.

Also know that your connection is a two way street. You could be blocking the signal at the receiver - your computer. If you are using a plug in board for the PC, it also could be an issue.

Only way to tell is by substitution of the wireless card or have someone else bring a laptop into your location and see if reception is better on their system - but then you have to start worrying about their laptop having the correct security access to your wireless network - believe me - it never ends with computers.

:scratchead: