Sign in to follow this  
JosephC

Need Some Info

JosephC

Hello to all, I need some information on a Wheelhorse that I bought about a year ago. What I can tell that it is a 1972 Raider 8, it has the original cast iron Kolher 8hp motor,trans has never been touched other than changing of fluids. When I got the tractor it had a 36" deck that was as for better words CORN FLAKES. I found a 42" rear discharge deck to fit but I am unable to lift the deck. I was told that if I could find a lift bracket, I would be able to raise and lower my deck.What is this bracket look like that I need??? Going back to the 36" deck that I dropped in the dumpster in pieces. I saved out the spindles and pulleys nothing else was any good. The other thing that I want to know is that the 36" deck was side and rear discharge, was this a kit from Wheelhorse or is it someones abbortion???? I also need some info on another Wheelhorse a 1982 Wheelhorse Workhorse GT1142,what deck is able to be used and are there any attachments???? Thank You

TT

I'm guessing the Raider doesn't have the "T" bar to hook to the deck.

Here's a drawing of what you might need:

cb9bc073.jpg

(part #27 is what you'll probably need)

You might be asking a little much from the 8hp engine to run the 42" deck, but it will do it.

As for the GT1142.....

Almost any deck from a 1974 to 1984 C series, and 1985 & up 300, 400, 500 models should work with the exception of the 2 blade 37" deck and the 60" 3 blade deck.

Most of the other attachments for those tractors will also fit your GT1142. :thumbs:

Try this link to see what attachments and accessories were offered:

GT1142 at Toro

T-Mo

Joseph,

:thumbs: It looks like Terry has you covered. Hang in there, there are plenty of decks out there. I would try and find a 36" deck as Terry stated 42 might be a bit much for the 8 hp. I'm not sure about a kit that adapted a deck to either side discharge or rear, but it's possible, I guess, that there is such a beast. :thumbs:

Stigian

:D Joseph.

I think Terry and Terry (sounds like a comedy act :thumbs::P ) have covered everything.

Ive never heard of side and rear discharge non a deck before, but then again i am quite new to this Wheel Horse lark :D Maybe some of the other guys here can shed some light.

I have a 74 Raider 10 and its rear discharge if thats any help :thumbs:

Kelly

I wasn't going to reply to this because I'm not sure :thumbs: , But I have 36" side discharge deck and all it is, is a rear discharge deck with a baffle welded round the back of the blades,It curves to fit the shape of the blades, and a hole cut in the side with the chute welded on . Maybe his rear baffle came out for some reason, rust, broke ect... If you don't turn it over it looks like both SD and RD. just my two cents worth right or wrong :D :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

My side discharge deck is the same way. It is basically a rear discharge deck with baffles.

Joseph - does your tractor have a lift arm? If so you may not need anything more than a piece of chain.

TT

I think Terry and Terry (sounds like a comedy act :thumbs::P ) have covered everything.

I'd rather it would sound like a law firm, thank you! :D

Something like:

The Law Offices of Terry, Terry, Terry, Jerry, Perry, Karl, Kevin, Kelly, Steve, Steve, Steve, Joel, Greg, Greg, Ben, Bill, Buzz, and Ian.

"we only accept Wheel Horse tractors, attachments, and parts for our services"

How'd ya like to see that on a TV commercial?

(sorry I didn't get all 172 members names listed :thumbs: )

TT

I wasn't going to reply to this because I'm not sure :thumbs: , But I have 36" side discharge deck and all it is, is a rear discharge deck with a baffle welded round the back of the blades,It curves to fit the shape of the blades, and a hole cut in the side with the chute welded on . Maybe his rear baffle came out for some reason, rust, broke ect... If you don't turn it over it looks like both SD and RD. just my two cents worth right or wrong :P:thumbs:

I'd bet the baffles did rust out, Perry. That's nothing unusual for a Wheel Horse deck of any shape or size. :D

Close the back in with a baffle and cut the side out for a discharge chute -- pretty simple, huh? (I also like the way these smaller decks mow. :D)

Near as I can tell, that is the only difference between the two decks.

JosephC

Thank you for the information on the Raider 8, 36" deck. The deck that I took off was just like Corn Flakes, it just crumbled, I did not have to use wrenches to remove the spindals, belt or even the top cover. Just rip snort and tear!! I gather from the information about my Workhorse that it is as close to a C or rather 300,400,500 series tractor. The only differance is that it has a Heavy Duty Cast Iron 11HP Briggs engine and not a Koler like the other Wheelhorses that I have. I also have a 1990 416H / with a 42" side discharge and a 1994 520H with a 48" side discharge. I got the Raider8 from a friend that I used to work with for $100 and was given the Workhorse last spring as a neighbor was cleaning out his father in laws garage. He did not want any thing to do with the Workhorse and I don't think he has any idea what he has given away. I have to admit that this is the first forum I have been in that anyone knows about the Workhorse tractors, I have made 4 other requests in 4 other forums with NO Reponce. Thank You

JosephC

I forgot to say anything about the lift or T-bar. As we speak I have the Raider 8 torn apart to replace the drive belt and to clean it up to at least make it look presentable. I have no holes drilled in the frame for a T-bar or lift bar as when I got the 42" deck from another friend of mine he gave me a T-bar or lift bar but never told me what it was or how it mounted. He said and I quote " This goes with the deck" so I had no idea what it was. I tryed to find a place to mount it or a place where I think it should go, but the way it lays out is that I would have to drill some holes in my frame. Does anyone have a dimention or place on the frame where this should go or even a picture of where it is suppose to be. Thank you

TT

The WorkHorse has a model 252417 Briggs & Stratton engine, Joseph. It's a "plain bearing" (read: cheap) aluminum engine and is known for PTO clutch pressure related failures of the crankshaft and tractor drive pulley unless it is meticulously maintained.

I have had 3 of these tractors and can't say anything bad about them beyond the cheaper engine and its' related problems.

"Willy", another member here at Redsquare has one and so does "Tickster". There's still quite a few of them still in service, including the 16 and 18 horsepower twin cylinder models.

The tractor is essentially the same as an "early" 312 8-speed except for the 8" front wheels & tires and obviously the color. The Briggs engines were supposedly installed to help cut manufacturing costs -- enabling the Workhorse models to better compete against the "big box store" tractors.

TT

I forgot to say anything about the lift or T-bar. As we speak I have the Raider 8 torn apart to replace the drive belt and to clean it up to at least make it look presentable. I have no holes drilled in the frame for a T-bar or lift bar as when I got the 42" deck from another friend of mine he gave me a T-bar or lift bar but never told me what it was or how it mounted. He said and I quote " This goes with the deck" so I had no idea what it was. I tryed to find a place to mount it or a place where I think it should go, but the way it lays out is that I would have to drill some holes in my frame. Does anyone have a dimention or place on the frame where this should go or even a picture of where it is suppose to be. Thank you

This is the best picture I have of the "T" bar:

3e67e2dd.jpg

You say you have a 1990 416H, which is exactly what this picture is of. :thumbs:

All you need to do is look at your 416 and get the measurements from it.

Kelly

Take a look at this auction Item number: 320218561042 on ebay.

It looks like the exrta long lift rod that you would use on a older tractor that has been updated to the attach a mattic, My Electro 12 has the kit on it, and this looks like the rod on mine. if it is you don't need the T-bar, Also he's listing a tach a matic style deck for this tractor he's parting out, so I put 2 and 2 together :thumbs: . E-mail him if your interested and get the length of it, and I can check mine for you.

I don't know how to put a direct link to the part, sorry :thumbs: .

Jim_M

About the side/rear discharge deck....I'll bet it was like my RM-364 deck. It's a rear discharge deck, but has removable sideplates. I'm missing both sideplates on mine, so it would be a dual side/rear discharge deck. :thumbs: I'm guessing that's what you had and one or both of the sideplates were missing.

I'm looking for a set of those plates.

TT

Jim,

Your deck is a 1964 and was built to be a rear discharge mower. In the manual, it states that you can remove the side plates, turn them upside-down and reattach them to the deck. This is intended to allow cutting of high grass and effectively makes it a dual side discharge deck.

The deck Joseph has is a "new style" 3 blade (belt driven blades) unit that used a shell that was stamped from the same dies -- whether it was side or rear discharge.

The next process in manufacturing would be either cut the right side opening for the discharge chute and weld in a rear baffle, or (in some cases) it would involve welding in two "V" shaped baffles inside the front of the deck to make it a rear discharge unit.

P.S. > I looked around in my stash and didn''t see any side covers to fit your deck. But then it hit me..... I think I was actually trying to find some too. :thumbs:

JosephC

The deck that I disposed of had the 2 baffles in the front and there was a shield welded across the rear of the deck. Someone along the way had also used a torch to cut the side of the deck to make a discharge chute and had pop rivited some tin on to form a chute. I still think from what it was that someone tryed to make a side discharge out of a rear discharge. I remembered this from talking to my wife because she helped me to load the parts of the old deck in the back of the truck so I could take it to the dumpster. The T-bar that I have is longer type it is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches longer than the one on my 416. After looking at my 416, which I would of never thought of, I now see where to drill my holes for the T-bar. Thank you Joseph