Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Can an alumium steering go in e tank?

stevebo

I have my new 35 RJ torn down and have started to etank the parts. I have s few questions....

1. Can I e tank the alumium steering wheel ? It is still on the steering shaft.

2. Can I e tank the rear end with the fluid still inside ?

Thanks- Steve Bo

Kelly

I've heard not to put alum. in the tank, and the oil will leak out and ruin the water, I'd drain it, myself

jusjeepn

I put some alu in my e-tank and ended up having to do more work to it than I would have if I'd just scotch brighted it and buffed it out! If your doing a part to be painted it would probably be ok. I won't do it again! And no! Don't do it! The electrolysis process softens all gasket material and makes silicone fall off. You'll have a huge mess and it will be practically impossible to get all the water back out of it without having to take it apart anyway! Just take it apart and do the case. I wouldn't do any internal parts!

The electrolysis process alters the composition of all steel parts that are subjected to it. The gears and shafts are hardened inside your tranny. You'd be risking possible gear failure down the road.

stevebo

Thanks guys. I will drain it, take it apart and do just the case like you suggested. Do not want to make a mistake so I thought I would ask first. As for the wheel, you suggest scotchbrite ? Is there any other method like a buffing wheel? I am not sure how shinny the wheel has to be to look right. Does anyone know what it should look like to be correct?

fireman

Steve,

Take that thing completely apart and take your time with it. There no rush. You got the whole winter and spring till next years show and we will bring them both to PA.

See you in the morning!

Jeff

stevebo

Jeff,

I am here til 9:30am in the morning. See you then..

jusjeepn

Steve, 3M makes a scotchbrite pad just for alu. It's blue in color and will not give the alu a shine. A buffing wheel will polish the alu. making it very shiny like chrome.