dgjks6

loose chain on snow thrower

dgjks6

So I got this sonw thrower. All the parts are there and spins freely, but someone said because of this:

DSCF3012.jpg

that the chain is loose. So how do I tightern the chain. I want to be ready for the snow.

Greg

WH nut

The lower idler sproket is slotted so you can adjust the chain. dont make it to tight, just take up the slack

Kelly

You may have to take a link out of the chain, or get a new chain if adjusting the idler won't fix it.

Doubletrouble

Like WH nut said, adjust the slack with the lower idler. It's at the bottom corner. Mine was loose like yours and it adjusted up fine with the idler.

dgjks6

OK, so I attempted to adjust the idler and the previous owner welded on a piece of metal on the front guard that when adjusted all the way, the chain rubs the guard. So how do I take a link out? I found the link to take the chain apart, but how do I actually remove a link?

can whlvr

you can buy a chain breaker that will push out the pin,or use a die grinder to grind the pin head off then punch out the pin on a vice,you can buy 2 types of links full and half,i would recomend that you get both,just in case.

pfrederi

It is #40 chain if you need half links

W9JAB

WheelHorse_of_course

If you have a TSC you can get these parts there too.

I would consider grinding back the non-original metal work so you have a usual adjustment range.

Best of luck :hide: :scratchead:

pfrederi

I have seen that imported roller chain costs about half of what US made chain goes for. Is the US twice as good....I do not know. But having the chain fail while you are blowing (Happened to me ...) can be an exciting PIA

KyBlue

And where do you get US made chain?

Now I didnt check on the #40...but I did on the #60, and even the stuff that grainger lists is made in Taiwan and the other from...Yup..You guessed it..China.

I need some #60 for my tiller, and really would like to avoid the 100 plus $$ that Toro wants for a new chain...

Don1977

I don't know if you can get any good American made roller chain. The way I test chain is to lay it down on a flat surface and see how much sideways flex it has. Cheap

roller chain has almost no side ways flex, and will not stay on the sprockets as well as a chain with some flex. We used to use Belt-Link chain the industrial supply house around here had it for the Cotton Mills before they all closed down.

pfrederi

And where do you get US made chain?

Now I didnt check on the #40...but I did on the #60, and even the stuff that grainger lists is made in Taiwan and the other from...Yup..You guessed it..China.

I need some #60 for my tiller, and really would like to avoid the 100 plus $$ that Toro wants for a new chain...

The last #40 I got from McMaster (about a year ago) was American.

Agri Supply has US chain

http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=36478&sid=&eid=

$65 for 10 ft of #60

$40 for 10ft #40

I was wrong about the price difference it has gone up

Chicom chain is $17 for #60 and $10 for #40

KyBlue

Didnt think about checking McMaster... Thanks! I got a couple other lil things to order from them in a few weeks.

thx