Sign in to follow this  
Polaris2007

Wondering what paint to use on engine?

Polaris2007

Hi all. I'm just about ready to paint the 12hp Kohler in my C-120, But i cant figure out if the Valspar Restoration series IH red that I'm using on the rest of the tractor will stand up to the heat, especially near the exhaust port. What have all you guys used to paint your engines with? :scratchead:

JimD

i heard it dries fast and hard if ya use a brush... :scratchead: but i really like krylon cherry red. it has a little deeper color, dries fast, and has a nice shine to it. i don't know if it will stand up to heat better or not. best of luck to ya, polaris!

Polaris2007

Thanks for the info. Has anyone out there painted their engine with Valspar Restoration IH red from a rattle can? How did it stand up to the heat?

:scratchead:

e-rancher

I've always heard that any solvent based enamal paint will work. I used an acylic enamal to paint the engine red in one of my MGBs and it never blushed. The person who paint the engine blue in my TR-3A just used the lacquer paint from the body and it blushed, the became chaulky. I painted the MGB engine over 20 years ago and I don't know how much the paints have changed. Now, I just by the rattle can paint for engines.

e-rancher

gwgdog66

My brother just painted his K91T with the Valspat IH Red Restoration series. He ruffed up the paint that was on it, and just sprayed over that I believe.

We ran it for a little while this evening, and it got hot enough around the head that I burned my fingers, trying to adjust out the carb. :scratchead: The paint wasn't discoloring any.