Jump to content
Ed Kennell

2026 Deer and Fish Tales

Recommended Posts

SylvanLakeWH

Range time to set my scope.

 

100 yds. Good enough for the girls I'll shoot early doe weekend...

 

 

IMG_4210.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
2 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Good enough for the girls

You can shoot thier eyes out Ralphie.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SylvanLakeWH

1/2 hour long early doe season!!!

 

2 tags 2 doe

 

15 minutes after sunrise I drop the first one... while I'm gutting it, no. 2 moseys by... dropped her as well... both fell where they stood!!!

 

:banana-linedance:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Excellent 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
On 8/26/2026 at 4:41 PM, Ed Kennell said:

You can shoot thier eyes out Ralphie.

Told you.        Congrats!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SylvanLakeWH

Not so funny thing... I could have taken two more doe on the walk to my car... 1/8 of a mile... but no tags (7 doe allowed this season)... it's ridiculous how many doe there are in SE Michigan and the DNR can't get hunters to shoot them... Hunter's "buck only" mentality has the herd way screwed up...

 

:(

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
adsm08
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Not so funny thing... I could have taken two more doe on the walk to my car... 1/8 of a mile... but no tags (7 doe allowed this season)... it's ridiculous how many doe there are in SE Michigan and the DNR can't get hunters to shoot them... Hunter's "buck only" mentality has the herd way screwed up...

 

:(

 

I pretty much only shoot doe. Not that I have seen a confirmed legal buck the last three years.

 

It sounds like you guys need to do what Maryland does. They have nearly unlimited buck tags, but you have to turn in a certain number of filled doe tags to get them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SylvanLakeWH

Michigan is toying with a bonus buck plan next year. You can get two buck now, and around me, an additional 7 doe. Under the possible new plan, If you shoot a doe, you would also be eligible for a bonus buck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

DNR can't get hunters to shoot them.

Same here.   Pa Game Commission  allots over 1.3 million general antlerless tags per year.  Every license holder may purchase up to 6 for most WMU (wildlife management unit) and 15 for high density urban areas.  Baiting is also allowed in these areas.    There is also AG TAG and DMAP programs to allow taking of additional deer where deer damage is a problem. There is also a Certified hunter program that links landowners that have a deer problem with qualified hunters.   There is also a statewide venison donation program.     But even with these programs, only 360,000 antlerless deer were reported harvested in 2025.

I would be surprised if the PGC would reward a hunter with a second buck tag for harvesting X number of antlered deer.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SylvanLakeWH

Early doe chili for dinner!!! :popcorn:

 

 

IMG_4325.jpeg

  • Excellent 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
adsm08
On 9/12/2026 at 6:18 PM, Ed Kennell said:

But even with these programs, only 360,000 antlerless deer were reported harvested in 2025.

 

Part of the problem here is a lack of hunters. Not enough guys moving the deer around.

 

I don't do archery. Last year during rifle I fired one shot, and honestly, I shouldn't have taken that one. I knew the deer was too far away, but it was the first one I'd had a shot at, and very near the end of the season, so I tried.

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don

If anyone can figure out a way to take this guy (and any of his harem) legally, I’d be grateful!

image.png.3d608cbcf11f088e4b0c7ee8dfe62798.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

n figure out a way to take this guy

Plant crops and claim crop damage.

  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
CRF857
19 hours ago, adsm08 said:

 

Part of the problem here is a lack of hunters. Not enough guys moving the deer around.

 

I don't do archery. Last year during rifle I fired one shot, and honestly, I shouldn't have taken that one. I knew the deer was too far away, but it was the first one I'd had a shot at, and very near the end of the season, so I tried.

 

IMG_3144.jpeg

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Plant crops and claim crop damage.

The response to damage years ago was “don’t plant that stuff or build a fence”. 

Steps to taking deer in my area:

- big game license required

- during the season only

- bow and arrow, including crossbow, permitted (instructor-led training and certification required)

- need permission to discharge an arrow from the owner of any dwelling or structure is within 500 feet (that would be ~12 homes and I’m dead certain there are one or two “Bambi” lovers among them)

 

Then, there's “what do I do with it after I have it."

Edited by Handy Don
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Then, there's “what do I do with it after I have it."

Uhm...

Eat it.

:popcorn:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
adsm08
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Steps to taking deer in my area:

- big game license required

Not unreasonable

 

- during the season only

 

Also not unreasonable.

- bow and arrow, including crossbow,

 

Good safety precaution in a neighborhood

 

permitted (instructor-led training and certification required)

 

And, it's time to get out of New York.

 

- need permission to discharge an arrow from the owner of any dwelling or structure is within 500 feet (that would be ~12 homes and I’m dead certain there are one or two “Bambi” lovers among them)

 

This may or may not be reasonable. Most places around me by the time  you are within 500 ft of a building you are on that person's property.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don
10 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

Not unreasonable

Totally agree that ALL of it makes sense.

Only pointing out that to be legal has many steps--and that It’s not for me!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

The response to damage years ago was “don’t plant that stuff or build a fence”. 

Steps to taking deer in my area:

- big game license required

- during the season only

- bow and arrow, including crossbow, permitted (instructor-led training and certification required)

- need permission to discharge an arrow from the owner of any dwelling or structure is within 500 feet (that would be ~12 homes and I’m dead certain there are one or two “Bambi” lovers among them)

These requirements exist in most states.

 

Then, there's “what do I do with it after I have it."

new york deer hunter donate - Search

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

“Bambi” lovers among them)

Getting permission to hunt or recover animals on private properties  is probably one of the biggest obstacles in solving the overpopulation of deer in urban areas.

If they eventually become a hazard to humans through disease and parasites transfer, maybe official steps will be taken.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SylvanLakeWH
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

If they eventually become a hazard to humans through disease and parasites transfer, maybe official steps will be taken.


I would hope you are correct, but Michigan's elected leaders are heading in the opposite direction... :(

 

New law allows essentially unlimited feeding for viewing / recreation but NOT hunting... :confusion-confused:

 

Unbelievable... :angry-banghead:

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Michigan's elected leaders are heading in the opposite direction...

Another case where political power rules over science.   Pa. has some stiff penalties for feeding any wildlife.  The exception being in defined urban areas where it is permitted by hunters only to reduce deer numbers.      

Another example is the conflicting rules for harvesting spawned female crabs in the Delaware and Chesapeake  Bays.

Delaware permits taking spawned females as science has proven they can only spawn one time.

Maryland forbids keeping any female crab.    

BTW, it is very easy to ID a spawned female crab....even a cave man can do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don
13 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

“what do I do with it after I have it."

new york deer hunter donate - Search

Hmmm.

Do I read this correctly that it is up to the hunter to transport the deer to the processor? Must the hunter do any prep before transport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
SylvanLakeWH
15 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Hmmm.

Do I read this correctly that it is up to the hunter to transport the deer to the processor? Must the hunter do any prep before transport?

Need to gut it before processor will accept it... you would want to do that regardless of what you do with the meat... want to get it away from the meat ASAP...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...