Sign in to follow this  
Doubletrouble

Wheel weights?? or not??

Doubletrouble

I have a '71 work horse and I have the snowblower for it also Model 6-0100. Anyway, I noticed that most of you use wheel weights on your tractor. Will they be nessesary on mine with the blower? I do have tire chains for the rear, will that be enough? I'm not exactly a little guy either so my body weight will count for something right? thanks.

nylyon

I have run a blower with just chains and the tires did spin a little going up hill. If you have a flat area you will be clearing, you might be able to get away with just chains, the weight does help though!

pfrederi

I think you will find you want weights. Biggest issue is when you raise the blower and try to back up...even a very slight grade can be a real issue. (Been there done that!!)

Doubletrouble

My driveway is flat but it's loose gravel. I just have to make sure I eat a little more at Thanksgiving for the extra weight.LOL I will be making some sort of ski's for the blower too so it doesn't dig into the gravel and start taking out windows! :scratchead:

nylyon

With the gravel, you may need to keep the blower slightly raised, and as pfrederi mentioned, having the weight on the rear wheels is going to help counterbalance.

WheelHorse_of_course

Double,

I used to be in NE OH. I found chains worked well.

I had a neighbor who had a driveway with some slope and I did have to run up to it from the curb once or twice before I'd make it.

Chains are something of a hassle, though I followed the advice of some filks here last year and jacked up the tractor and that made it considerable easier.

I think it was in the C-series manual that WH advises against weight or damage can occur to the drive train. I guess they were concerned about the additional inertia when accelerating and deaccelerating.

What is the HP of your workhorse? I would recommend against anything less than 10 for a manual transmission or 12 for a Hydro. I know my Charger 12 gets more of a workout blowing than any thing else I do.

It is fun winter wonderland when you are chugging along throwing that snow though. Last year I had the plow on the 854 and the blower on the Charger and was doing even more sidewalk than I did the previous years.

Here in VA there are no sidewalks and I guess not much snow :ychain:. But when we do the neighbors will be happy to see me!

Have fun, and best of luck.

:hide: :scratchead:

rick

Not much snow, but plenty of sleet and freezing rain....

can whlvr

I would go with the weights,i have them on my c160 with v bar chains and this thing is unstoppable and it looks cool too :scratchead:

Doubletrouble

Wheel horse of course< to answer you Q: My horse has an 8hp Tec. in it for now. Seems to run strong though. The guy I got it from used it to blow snow, said it worked good. i bought the whole set up from him w/mower deck also. I think I'm gonna try w/o weights at first just because $$ is a lil short right now and weights don't seem to come cheap. Thanks for the input everyone, anything else to add??

Doubletrouble

That's not to bad. I think i have a bag of crete in the garage too. Thanks, I just may try a set here soon.

whfan74

I can't quite remember where the source was concerning this but Wheel Horse did a test year's ago dealing with weight for pulling and pushing. If I recall they did some experiments concerning weight distribution. I can't remember the specifics but putting weights right in the wheels was much more beneficial than putting a big butt in the seat.

I agree with the other guys, it helps counter balance the weight out front. A little added traction never hurts. We can never plan on how much snow we are going to get each winter season.

For me I put the plastic Wheel Horse weights in the wheels and then add 175 lbs. of suitcase weights off the back. I don't seem to have too many problems at all.

Just my .02

Doubletrouble

LOL scott, I'm gonna look around for some weights. I'd prefer the cast iron but they're a bit $$. I'm also gonna look at TSC and see if they have something there too. Money is tight so I'm limited but I'll do some shopping and see what I find.

acedog

Hey doubletrouble, I have the hollow wheelweights that are filled with cement. They are 80lbs. a piecs and they work great and also look good. These are about twenty or more years old, I had these on two other tractors in the past. I leave them on all year long plus the chains just so I don't get stuck on spots on my property during the002.jpg year.

earlleecliffton

where you at in nw ohio? i have a couple sets of 62 lbs a piece weights i made . already drilled and all.

Doubletrouble

earlleecliffton : I'm in Bradner Ohio, about 15 miles east of Bowling Green. Sorry I didn't get back to ya sooner. busy last few days round here.

earlleecliffton

im probably 50 mile from you. do ya got anything wheelhore you wanna trade for some wieghts?

Doubletrouble

I don't have much in the way of wheel horse stuff at all yet. (workin on it though). The only thing I have to trade would be a 36"(I think) plow blade but I don't have the frame to mount it to a tractor, just the blade itself. It is in good shape though. That's about it. Someday I would like to get a bigger blade with the mounts to put on my tractor.

earlleecliffton

i dont need a blade, but would trade for 2 of the wieghts i made

Doubletrouble

You would trade? Do you have a pic of the weights? I can get a couple pics of the blade if you like.

earlleecliffton

Picture004.jpgvPicture006.jpg

yes i would like too see pics of blade

Doubletrouble

Those look pretty good, you made them. Good job. I checked out the plow today, I measured it and I was wrong. It's 30 in. wide. It's in very good shape though, almost new I would say. I also have the adjustable "feet" for it. So you can keep the wear bar off the concrete. Here's a couple pics.

Photo0126.jpg

Photo0125.jpg

earlleecliffton

not a wheel horse blade?

Doubletrouble

No I don't think it is. I haven't really looked at it since I brought it all home, till today. It's been sitting in the back of the garage ever since.

earlleecliffton

sorry ,maybe i was misleading i thought it was a whorse item