Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Mowing grass

Rollerman

Back in the day when RS was pretty small & less than 50 or so members we talked about a lot of odd ball stuff here.

This year I've been doing all my mowing with a 74 vintage Sears electric rider.

It's been cheap to run, reliable, but kinda slow & the deck really doesn't spool up all the fast.

For 1974 technology I've always been impressed with it.

But it's slow......... :scratchead:

A few weeks back I picked up a bargain 416-8 that has a sweet running Magnum 16.

Just a nice tight tractor....the PO even had a grease gun & used it.

Like I said in a previous thread though...he must of not had a work bench cause the hood is awfull.

0927091756.jpg

Well today I was getting ready to hop on the Sears & mow.

I had to move the 416 out of the way first....so I decided to go ahead & put the deck on & try it.

I needed to run it anyhow, it will be going to my dad once I fix a few things.

So I get the deck mounted up, grease everthing, check the oil & off I go.

I neglected to mow last week since it was a busy saturday & was out sunday.

The grass was a little better than ankle deep in places.

What a difference between E power & Kohler power!

There is something about a 16HP Kohler single that means business....I mean you have your twin Kohlers, Onan, Break & Shakems.

The 14 HP and down tractors are fine & have plenty of power too.

But a K341 or Mag 16 has an authority about it.

With the E rider a dandelion would lay over & take a nap while I mowed...only to pop up later.

That 416-8 had a good suction on the sod...nothing got passed the 42" SD deck.

Guess I like this one!

My neighbors gras is better tha a foot deep...I think I'll go mow his place now.

nylyon

Good to see those horses out and working like they should. You didn't tell Dad that you found him a 416 now did ya? :scratchead:

Sparky

Sounds like dad is getting a Sears electric tractor for X-mas :scratchead: .

Ive been running a 42"RD on my 416 and its great. Never bogs in any kind of grass.

Mike......

HorseFixer

Stephen Oh so you did get that electric monstrosity going eh? :ychain: I was wondering what the infatuation was when ya brought it by that day. :scratchead: I really cant remember what ya came over here for? Well no matter, anyways glad to see ya haven't turned over and went to the DARK SIDE :ychain: and started likeing sears tractors :ychain: Gald the 416 is getting the job done! :hide:

Gene_S

Hi Stephen,

Looks just like my 416-8 but I have a 48" deck and it does a good job to. I need to relevel it some time because the middle blade seems to be cutting lower. Thanks for sharing!

Gene

Jim_M

Stephen,

Does that mean you're ready to get rid of the Sears?

Gene,

If the center blade mows lower than the rest you might want to flip it over and see if the deck shell is cracked. It happens to them a lot and a sure sign is when the center blade cuts lower than the outside blades.

Jim

Gene_S

Oh no don't say that Jim... :scratchead: I sure hope not... I will get it off this week and check that out. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks,

Gene

Jim_M

It's an easy fix. I usually weld the cracks from the bottom of the deck and add a 10 gauge reinforcing plate to the top of the deck. It will never cause you trouble again if you reinforce it.

Rollerman
Stephen Oh so you did get that electric monstrosity going eh?

stevebo

My 416-8 single kohler is my worker and prefer it over my c175 and 2 520's. Ith has a ton of torque-

can whlvr

I have to agree that the 16 single has what it takes,uses more fuel than my 10hp,but thats life,that 416 must be a nice tractor to drive,my 414 is the nicest wheelhorse i have driven,that includes a friends 520 that is also nice to drive.