Sign in to follow this  
lp johnny

starting on 312-8 need help!

lp johnny

just put in a new starter...does it look right?

also...the empty fuse holder is corroded..but had a 30 amp fuse..and a red wire coming out of or under the corroded fuse...wth..?

can this be wired direct..thus bypassing the fuse..or does a new fuse holder need to be wired in...where would you get that?

thanks so much

John

100_2001.jpg

100_2002.jpg

lp johnny

ok wired in a new fuse holder...

update......

nothing...why am I not suprised :scratchead:

pfrederi

Are you getting 12 v to the solenoid (the small wire from the ignition) when you turn the key???

Leaving out the various safety stuff wiring is pretty simple. Ignition switch sends 12 volts to solenoid on small wire. (Big wire from battery is always hot) then solenoid passes 12 v to the other big wire that goes to starter...starter spins. Try jumping stater motor directly from battery if it spins it is OK. If you have 12 volts at the small wire then solenoid is bad.

Not getting 12 volts at the small wire.. most likely villain is one of the safety switches....less likely the ignition switch itself is bad.

You and your multi-meter need to become good friends....

lp johnny

thank you...

has not run in a year...

jumpered the solenoid to the starter..turned over...couple of squirts of starting fluid...oh.. and fresh gas..she fired up and guess what...she's a good runner...yeah!...now..the wiring mess

ignition switch...battery cable..1 fuse holder..starter..battery..all new

now..if it starts when it's jumpered..and continues to run..even when I get off the seat..pto works..etc..does that mean the switches have been bypassed?

lights do not work... amp guage not working..don't know about hour meter..

hmmm..what to do next?

solenoid..first.. me thinks

Doubletrouble

I would get the solonoid sorted first then make sure you bypass the safty switches. If you have half a brain you don't need them anyway. Take your time you'll get it.

Duff

I agree with Bill - start by getting the solenoid issue behind you. Safety switches? Mine are all gone, but that's just me. I ripped out all the original wiring then fabbed new harnesses to provide clean, known connections to the things I wanted to work - the engine (duh!), ignition switch, solenoid/starter, hour meter, volt meter, and lights. I left the fancy idiot lights in the dash for appearance, but they're not wired. Like another member here posted somewhere, I check my oil before every outing and if I'm really working the machine, I check it when I refuel, so I don't have the oil cut-out switch thingy wired up either. I like simple, reliable equipment and I think I've got my 312's where I want 'em now! JMHO.......

Keep us posted on your progress, and keep the questions coming!

Duff :scratchead:

lp johnny

Well..I feel I may be getting some where..

Still no key start...but..I now have..amp guage and lights..

yeah!

My seat switch light in on while the tractor is running so If I can bypass that, I may be able to key start..

It's the little things that make ya happy :scratchead:

can whlvr

dont forget to check your clutch safty switch also,called nutral safty i think.