Sign in to follow this  
perry

wood stove shopping

perry

i bought a garbage stove last year at TSC for the house. i am fed up with this pile of crap and going to buy a new one soon. just seeing if any of you wood stove guys have any good suggestions. something decent for under $1200.

i kinda like the features on this one

wood stove

Jim_M

I don't know if they make them anymore, but I have a Fisher papa bear stove on the north end of the house and a Fisher mama bear stove on the south end.

The papa bear is a good sized stove and between the two of them I'm able to keep a 1900 sq. ft. house nice and warm, sometimes too warm. The papa bear will hold a fire all day when I'm at work, the mama bear will usually have enough hot coals left to easily get a fire started again as long as I'm careful about putting some nice solid chunks in it in the morning. Every once in a while when I get home the gas furnace will be running, (I call it N.I.P.S.CO's little helper) but normally only if it's been really windy all day.

They're made of heavy plate steel with cast iron doors, firebrick lined and very air tight.

I've owned a couple other brands, a Jotul (too small) a Warm Morning ( ate up wood) and some off brands, but the Fishers are by far my favorites.

A friend of mine has a Wonder Wood, it has the automatic draft and damper controls and a blower and also does a very good job, it's big and will hold a lot of wood. TSC used to sell them, but I don't know if they still do.

whchris

if your looking for a good looking one i recomend hearth stone thy put out tremondus amounts of heat and look great ( dont know the price i got mine free with a cracked stone from the stove store up the street and it cost me 12 bucks for the new stone a super sweet deal and make sure it has the automatic vent they make them sweet if looks arnet important go with a wood heater i think there like 800 bucks but same thing with the auto vent, or a good old potbelly will cook ya right out of your house :thumbs:

Rollerman

Perry I've been considering a larger one for my shop.

I've had zero luck with it as a heater & use my salamander now all the time.

I need to do some maintanance too....I'm pretty sure the chimney is due for a cleaning.

Kinda waiting for some warmer weather to get that job done.

I hope it will give the stove a little more draft & burn hotter. :thumbs: