Sign in to follow this  
Save Old Iron

Lead based paint

Save Old Iron

From a health safety standpoint,

With all the scraping, sanding, sandblasting, wirebrushing and welding on older tractors, has anyone ever tested the paint on these tractors for lead content ?

MikesRJ

From a health safety standpoint,

With all the scraping, sanding, sandblasting, wirebrushing and welding on older tractors, has anyone ever tested the paint on these tractors for lead content ?

Not me; but you should always be wearing a particulate mask anyway, whether it is or isn't lead-based.

Don1977

I would not worry about it. I grew up with lead paint, leaded gas, DDT, Asbestos, second hand smoke, and all the other things that the Government has banned in the last 40 years. I'm still here at 67 and in good health. If you must ask do it quietly we already have enough crazy people out there trying to stop us from doing the things we like to do.

Save Old Iron

Thanks Mike - good safety point.

My concern is lead is easily absorbed thru the skin - not only thru ingestion thru the stomach or thru the lungs - the skin is your body's "largest organ" - even thou some recent jokes posted by GlenJeri would suggest otherwise.

I am not too concerned about the 80's and even 70's dated tractors - but the 50's and 60's - I'm not sure.

Imagine the dust produced by wire wheeling a tractor or accessory. All the residue and dust settles to the garage floor, sweeping stirs it up and blowing with compressed air may be even worse. You blow it outside and your kids or grand kids play in the driveway.

Hands up - who keeps their dust mask on during cleanup of the shop ???

The reason I brought this up is I was testing some of the China dishware my grandmother had left us. A lead test kit turned bright red (+++) for lead when I swiped these plates. So with the concern for lead as a safety hazard, I thought I would bring up the subject.

Hopefully someone with original paint on an older 50's 60's tractor may want to test the paint just to check. I only have 70's and 80's stuff.

MikesRJ

Hands up - who keeps their dust mask on during cleanup of the shop ???

:hide::scratchead: Always, and the dust collector/air recirculator system on too!

rick

Like Don, I don't worry about that stuff.....

Save Old Iron

Some interesting answers and perspectives - thanks

If nothing else - gives those who are interested in working on older equipment something to consider. As we bring other younger friends and family members into the hobby of restoration / refurbishing, it will allow each of us to make our own intelligent decisions on how to protect ourselves and demonstrate to others around us we consider their safety as important as our own.

Not trying to preach to anyone. Last weekend I spent a few hours working on a C120. My my 4 year old grandson was "helping" me. We had a great time - it did make me see things from a new perspective.