Sign in to follow this  
hcminis

Picked up a FREE 500 Special - I Think

hcminis

Well, coming home from our daughters basketball practice last Thursday I caught a glimpse of what I thought was a horse behind a small barn. So, I backed up and pulled in and saw the ole girl was in fact a horse. Knocked on the door and asked if the young man thought he wanted to get rid of the Wheel Horse. Must have went and asked his father and upon return said "Sure, you can have it"....YES!!!!

Got it home and didn't have time to look it over very well until last night. Obviously, needs a motor. Young man also mentioned it would pop out of third gear so that will need a little attention. Plus, couldn't get it to go in first....Might have to try my hand at rebuilding the transmission. Not good at that but...hey...it was FREE. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

So, I tore the ole girl down to start a rebuild. As mentioned, needs a motor, possible transmission rebuild, and has a small rust hole under the seat. BUT, other than that, the tractor was really solid. Trying to get the steering wheel off now but....DANG....:scratchead: Can't get the pin out and I beet the heck out of it. So, it soked over night in WD40 (all I had at the time) and will give it a go again this evening. Don't think the rear lights were standard nor the front (obviously..haha) One front rim has two rust holes all the way through...but should be able to get another one.

Now, the confusing part. This site is AWESOME when it comes to the search function. Was able to search and find the link needed to see what the ole girl's model number was since everything was faded. So, the serial number came back as a 1968 500 Special Tractor. However, it doesn't say that on the hood or side. Does have black stripes down the hood but nothing in regards to the 500 Special.

So, was there any made without the special decals? Maybe someone changed the hood but thought the flag decal would still be there.

Here are some pictures and any help would be greatly appreciated. Still don't think it is bad considering it was FREE!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

D. J.

dewayne@hcmtoys.com

www.hcmtoys.com

DSC01264.jpg

DSC01261.jpg

DSC01263.jpg

DSC01266.jpg

DSC01268.jpg

DSC01271.jpg

DSC01277.jpg

DSC01278.jpg

KB9LOR

I am new to WH's so I can't help but like you said per the model number it is a 500 special, and at the price you paid, it is a great deal, I would have done the same as you congrats on the find and get it back in shape.

Brian

T-Mo

Here's what a 500 Special would like:

1968 500 Special

It looks like the tag that would have the "500 Special" is faded. And in fact, it looks like it says "Commando ?" :scratchead:

WHC-125

Congrats on the find looks like a good project! :scratchead:

bitten

What ever it is it was free so you cant beet that. Some elbo greas, some paint, another engine and tranny work and you will have it going good.

CasualObserver

Congrats on the 500 Special... sending you a PM about something un-related....sort of. :scratchead:

Duff

Nice tractor - congrats! We've seen 'em brought back from a lot worse shape than that one, and the process is a lot of fun. Enjoy!

BTW - I'm just finishing up a tranny rebuild and it's not as daunting a task as you might think. I do highly recommend taking some close-up progress photos of the innards as you dismantle it, though. Makes the reassembly easier. Little hint - print out a copy of your manual first, then see if you can duplicate the angle of the photos in the manual with your own new photos. My manual was very helpful, but the photo quality in it was a little..well... :scratchead:

Duff :hide:

d180man

Hi nice find ! free is nice but when it is a horse it is the best !!! :scratchead: good luck with it ! :hide:

hcminis

Thank you all for the comments.

What amazes me is the fact you can take these old horses apart and not break anything. Took the ole girl completely apart (except for the tranny which still scares me right now) and didn't break one bolt. They broke loose like it was just put together a month back. Amazing to me how it can set out for so long and still be solid as a rock. They only thing I am still fighting with is the steering wheel. Got the pin out but now it is stuck on the shaft. Shot it with some more WD40 and let her soak again. Worked for the pin....we'll see.

Will get some updated pictures this weekend of the "Tear Down"

Brother has a sand blastering cabinet so will use it for the smaller pieces. Being a tight wad....don't want to spend any money yet. Trying to see how far I can go on this FREE Horse without spending a dime. I know, I know....Good Luck with that task...ha ha.

Thanks again

D. J.

dewayne@hcmtoys.com

www.hcmtoys.com