Sign in to follow this  
kajamo240

Snowblower

kajamo240

I have started to think about getting ready for the winter and was thinking about how excited I am to use my new snowblower. During my thought, I started to ponder how I would be able to keep the snow from jamming in the chain, chute and the auger.

I saw something here a while ago about getting some chute lube to spray on the chute but what do you use for the rest of it? How do you keep it from clogging, then freezing and locking up until spring?

Also, what is else is there that I can do to get the snow to go as far as possible without buying a higher hp motor? I also read that I could get a smaller pulley for it and that would bring the RPM's up and throw the snow further, but couldn't that get a little sloppy with it moving SO fast?

Looking for some expert advice...

defed

i've never waxed the chute on mine and never had a clog. guess it depends on the climate, we don't get too much wet snow being so cold. i've also never had anything freeze up besides the chute itself (freezes in place and can't rotate). again, i guess if it is cold and stays cold, there is no melting/freezing going on.

i presume you have a single stage? one thing that helps is feeding it enough snow. if you go TOO slow, it doesn't throw as far. single stages tend to 'vaporize' the snow so it shoots pretty well, especially if you throw with the wind.

the only thing i do is, when i put it back in the garage, i let it run a few minutes while i use a broom to clean it off. the better i sweep it off, the less problems there are. of course, DON'T clean the auger and chain while it's running!

GlenPettit

SILICONE: with a spray can, spray Silicone on all the surfaces.

Any rust is very rough and will slow down the snow a lot and it will also keep rusting, so get rid of the rust in the first place. Wax is very good to make a smooth surface but the top coat of silicone is harder and even smoother. I try not to, but get sand and hard salt in the chute from near the road, the silicone does not seem to be affected by these, but the wax alone is. And early in the morning, the snow is much drier and this is a major plus for blowing.

kajamo240

Very good information. Thanks. There is a little bit of rust on the chute. I am not to knowledgeable on how to get rid of rust other than sandblasting it and then painting it but I dont have access to a sandblaster. Any other ideas?

That is a good idea to wait until morning to do it! Never thought of that!

Is there a specific type of wax that I should use on the chute?

can whlvr

an angle grinder with a wire wheel or a sanding disk on it works good or the electrolisis barrel is another option.