Sign in to follow this  
jeepcreepcj

Wheel horse lt 1642 any good?

jeepcreepcj

Hi, I came across a wheel horse lt 1642 today, for $45. It has an opposed twin motor, and a mower deck. looks like one of the belts is broke, and it needs the electrical rewired. It is not running but does not appear to have any major damage other than being neglected/old. I was wondering if these are something to stay away from, The transaxle looks very light weight, as well as the rest of the tractor. I am thinking about getting it but I don't know if it is worth it due to it being one of their light weight models. I would probably try to get it mowing and just mow with it next year if I did buy it. Thanks for any input!

Jim_M

It's probably worth $45.00, but just remember it's a lawn mower not a garden tractor.

It has very little in common with the rest of the Wheel Horse line and attachments from a horizontal shaft tractor will not interchange.

hodge

Jim, are you sure about that? Isn't the 1642 the same model as the 1600, a year older? If so, it is the same as the 300-400-500 series, with a Briggs and 4 pinion rear. Good, tough, restorable tractor, and probably WELL work $45.00.

Jeepcreep, is that an LT, or a GT?

Kelly

That would be a GT not a LT and yes it worth $45 I sell those twins on ebay for $100+

Jim_M

He said in his post it's an LT, that would make it a vertical shaft tractor with an aluminum 5 speed Peerless transaxle and a deck that has an odd cable lift arrangement.

I had one a year or so ago, made a nice little mower but I wouldn't have tried to do anything else with it.

If it has a cast iron 8 speed it would be a GT and other than the briggs motor and 4 pinion rear, it would be the same as a 300 or 400 series.

The LT1642 was built in 82 and 83 as was the GT1642, but they're two totally different tractors.. The LT1642 has a stamped sheet metal frame and the GT1642 has the angle iron frame that we're familiar with.

Jim_M

The model number for a 1982 LT1642 is A2-164201 look it up on the Toro MPV and you'll see what the differences are between the LT and GT models.

jeepcreepcj

Hey, Thanks for all the replies! It is an LT and the transaxle is little and looked like aluminum, it actually looked a lot like a simplicity 4211 transaxle. I think I am going to talk to the owner friday about it and get it. I have my 1054 for towing and plowing so even if it is only good for mowing it will be ok.

KB9LOR

I would buy it, my nephews would have a ball on it, and would keep them off my others. lol!

Brian

hodge

He said in his post it's an LT, that would make it a vertical shaft tractor with an aluminum 5 speed Peerless transaxle and a deck that has an odd cable lift arrangement.

I had one a year or so ago, made a nice little mower but I wouldn't have tried to do anything else with it.

If it has a cast iron 8 speed it would be a GT and other than the briggs motor and 4 pinion rear, it would be the same as a 300 or 400 series.

The LT1642 was built in 82 and 83 as was the GT1642, but they're two totally different tractors.. The LT1642 has a stamped sheet metal frame and the GT1642 has the angle iron frame that we're familiar with.

Sorry to question you, Jim. I looked back at his post, and had missed the "lt". To tell you the truth, I am guilty of missing details like that. There are so many instances of bad grammer and texting language, that I assumed he was saying "it" instead of "it's", as in "it's a 1642". My wife is right- I never listen.

Jim_M

My wife is right- I never listen.

Huh, my wife says the same about me. They must be related.

hodge

It's a species thing.