Sign in to follow this  
racer4

Heavier duty idler pulley for 314-8

racer4

Don't know if anyone had posted anything about this. I needed a new drive belt idler pulley for my 314-8, so I looked it up on a website parts finder. Toro part number was 95-7668. Stens makes a heavy duty idler, which also came up in the parts look-up, with a much larger bearing p/n 280362 so I decided to try one. Had to remove the clutch piston thing, got a shorter bolt and turned it around so the nut was towards the frame, and reinstalled because the new pulley bearing hit on the nut for the clutch rod piston. Otherwise a simple upgrade and it should last longer than the original with the tiny bearing. :scratchead:

Duff

Racer, if that clutch rod piston thingy you speak of is the damper cylinder that the clutch hits when you let it out (supposedly to prevent wheelies), the sages among our members generally describe that thing as totally useless (and grossly expensive to replace!). I replaced the pulley on my 312-8 with the same Stens P/N you used, but I didn't have to change bolts because I had already trashed the damper piston assembly.

I offer this only as something to think about if your damper piston wears out......

Cheers!

Duff :scratchead:

racer4

Racer, if that clutch rod piston thingy you speak of is the damper cylinder that the clutch hits when you let it out (supposedly to prevent wheelies), the sages among our members generally describe that thing as totally useless (and grossly expensive to replace!). I replaced the pulley on my 312-8 with the same Stens P/N you used, but I didn't have to change bolts because I had already trashed the damper piston assembly.

Yeah that's the part, the little pneumatic "shock". It was still functional so I kept it installed. Dad's old JD 110 never had a "shock" on it and I never could make that do wheelies!!! The wheel horse will pull the nose off the ground sometimes and I even have the front wheel weights on. Anyways, I didn't think that part would be a "must replace" item.

Thanks

How's the HD pulley holding up? My original lasted 225 hrs. Hoping for much more with this one.