Sign in to follow this  
htopjimmy26

Sunstrand trunnion shaft seal

htopjimmy26

Hi fellas, My 79 C160 hydro has started to leak badly from the trunnion shaft seal. My question is does anyone think this can be changed from the outside without removing the hydro and disassembling? Anyone unfamiliar with the trunnion shaft seal location I'll elaborate, it faces rearward on the pump cover with 3 bolt holes around it in a triangular pattern, the shaft rotates as you move the direction control lever. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row so I have all the parts to fix it and don't have the tractor disabled for a long time. Thanks, Dana :scratchead:

defed

i believe that you should be able to. i had one apart 2 yrs ago to swap out the main shaft. i honestly forgot what holds those shafts in. i think there is a roll pin thru it on the inside. so if you pull the seal out, the shaft should stay in place.

you can check the sundstrand service manual if you want to make sure. you can get it at toro.

htopjimmy26

Thanks for the reply, from the picture it looks like it can be done. Do you remember what the retaining clip looks like the pic is real bad and its hard to tell, is it an inside snap ring? I hope that it has holes for snap ring pliers as it would be a bear if its just driven into a slot. The biggest hurdle appears to be that the seal is in a recess [of course] and may be difficult to pick/pry out. Thanks, Dana

defed

i don't remember actually, but i believe it is a snap ring. i think i picked the seals out from the outside before i took it apart....altho i may have removed the shafts 1st...the housing is aluminum, so you have to be careful...that i DO remember.

htopjimmy26

Thank for the info, after stabbing myself with one of my small picks I went and got my seal puller and popped it right out [after bandaging wound]. I think I used a 19mm deepwell socket to install the new seal but the retaining clip did not survive removal, for some reason it is discontinued but it should be pretty easy to match up. Thanks :scratchead: Dana

defed

glad it worked out. the snap rings should be standard size.

JamesBe1

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd give it a shot in case any of the original posters or anyone else has any additional info.

I have the same problem. I was wondering if the trunnion shaft seal is a generic seal, or do I have to get it from toro?

A little background - I picked up a D180 with an FEL a couple of years ago. Shortly after, it stopped moving (over the course of a couple of weeks). After asking around here and getting lots of good info, I picked up a used hydro pump off of ebay. It was a real super pain in the neck trying to swap it out with trying to work around the FEL. After wrestling with it for a couple of days, I finally got it back together, and it started leaking from the connection to the manifold. I figured that I had knocked one of the backup o-rings out of place while wrestling it into place. I had to put the project aside for about a year.

Fast forward to recently. I removed the FEL, and front grill to make work easier. I ordered a new set of o-rings from toro. I finally got it installed properly, and there are no leaks from the manifold (yay!). However, I noticed a nice stream of oil being sucked forward towards the engine. After looking closely, I find that the leak is from the left trunnion shaft. It's not easy to get to, and I am sure that I will have to take the pump completely out and work on it on the bench.

So, back to my original question, is it a generic part?

Anybody happen to know the part number and source of supply?

It would be really great to have my D180 with FEL loader again.

Thanx,

James