Sign in to follow this  
hodge

Help me with my dyslexic tractor

hodge

Lately, my 310 has been acting up when trying to start. Most of the time, no problem. But, sometimes, I need to jump it across the soleniod terminals to get it to start. I bought another ignition switch from a 312, same part number. I installed it, and it wouldn't run. It also wouldn't turn over, unless jumping it. Pulled the plug, no juice to it. Hmm. What is this? I assumed that I had bigger ignition problems, with no spark, all of a sudden. To eliminate possibilities, I turned the key off and jumped the soleniod. It fired up! I turned the switch to run, it cut off. I pulled the switch, checked everything (like there is much to go wrong with plugging the terminal into the switch), and put it back in. Same thing. So, I put the old switch back in (again, same part number). It runs correctly, although I am still needing to jump the soleniod to start it. What is up? Should I call X Files?

Dsol1

I would check your plug into the ign switch. sound like you have 2 wires touching,especially if you can jump the seloniod with the key off and it starts.Is the plastic around the ign switch plug melted anywhere?

hodge

Nope. The plug is fine.

Dsol1

Sound like you have a constant hot to the selonoid......hmmmmmm....is the replacement switch new?

hodge

The switch is used. I don't think I have a constant hot to the solenoid, although I haven't tested it. If I did, the battery would lose charge over time, and it doesn't.

Dsol1

if you can fire it up with the key off,ur selonoid may be bad,my raider has 1 wire to the small selonoid post,and it controls the ignition,and all the safety switches, if im remembering correctly

Kelly

Is your engine a magnum or a K series? They use a diff ign. switch

Kelly

And you may just have a bad safty switch as to why it will not crank, that is why they are there, clutch, PTO, seat, ect.....

hodge

It is a magnum

I don't think it is a safety switch. Sometimes the ignition works, sometimes it doesn't. I can hit the key, it will fire and cut off (for instance, if it isn't choked enough), and when I hit the key again, it won't turn over. I then have to jump the solenoid. At this point, I suspect the soleniod. I need to see if I have one lying around to try, before buying one.

As far as the ignition switch and magnum/k-series using different switches, wouldn't two switches, looking the same, and having the same part number, work the same? :scratchead:

nylyon

Bad ground? :scratchead:

Kelly

Well if the switches have the same part no. yes it should work, but a magnum, has a magnito ign. and uses a ground to shut it off, and a K series uses batt. ign, and the switch opens in the off pos. to break power, so the switches will not interchange, as to check the solenoid pull the wire that goes to the small terminal on the solenoid, turn key to start and see if you have power to it, if you don't then back to the switch, if you do bad solenoid, but the way you decribe the way the switch was working sounds like the wrong switch.

Kelly

And look at the back of the switches each terminal will have a letter by it, make sure they are in the same layout.

can whlvr

I was having electrical problems on my 1975 c160auto,started looking at switches on parts tree and the switch for my 414 -8 magnum is the same number as the 1975 which is a k series,but the toro site has different numbers,it pays to look around some times to compare

hodge

OK, an update. I found a new solenoid, which did not fix the problem. It will start and run with the key on, and jumping the terminals on the soleniod. The key will shut it off. I guess I should start looking at the safety switches- they have never worked before, but they could be giving me a problem now, correct?