Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Anyone else smash cars for fun?

Kelly

I've been doing demo derbys for 25 years now, and demo figure 8's for about 15, I just wanted to know if anyone else here has ran a demo car? Here's pic's of last years car the local junk yard donated the body, Nice southern caddy to bad it was the metric body 77 and newer.

I use my own engine, trans and rear end, wiring ect...... I have over a hundred trophies from doing this, most from the figure 8's I've even got Driver of the year, Hard charge driver, most dedicated driver, and two best looking car awards back to back years, from our end of the season championships. I'll have to find those pic's of the best looking cars if anyone wants to see more?

Driving these is alot of fun, It's a adrenalin rush, My figure 8 car has around 350 hp. and you can hit a car so hard you can flip them over with out trying, I've been upside down once, flipped a few cars, hit one car so hard in a corner I rolled him and ripped the rear axle completely out of his car and then I won two laps later.

I hope you like the pic's. Just before paint

100_6882.jpg

freshly lettered ready for battle

100_6915.jpg

Me and the last car

100_6957.jpg

after I rolled him over we kept going for 25 min. just us

100_6956.jpg

the next day after I broke my drive shaft by the engine coming back to far I got 2nd

100_6978.jpg100_6977.jpg100_6974.jpg

nylyon

Uh Oh! Better get Maaco. Never wrecked em intentionally, but that would be a great stress reliever!

Rollerman

Looks fun to watch....but maybe a little to exciteing to be in for me..... :thumbs:

Somehow after rolling a guys car over I don't think you've made a new friend like gabing about tractors?

I've helped out building a few demo cars...never drove.

No way I'd do the figure 8 thingy. :thumbs:

pond195520032003

Kelly, i havent been in a derby yet :thumbs: have thought about it though :D but as for smashing up cars, we used to number them starting with 01 and ended up at last count was 22 that we would go out in the woods and make paths and hit trees! also we would take 2 or 3 at a time at night when it was usually a full moon so you could see a little bit! then turn off the lights and run around till we hit each other :P some times it would get a little crazy if the cars would catch fire, but when you are close to the lake you just drive in :D i eventualy got my arm cought in the steering wheel and broke it in 5 places(cost $4.000) :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Kelly, never drove in one, but I've been welding and cutting for a buddy on his cars since highschool. He started running outlaw derbys a few years back. All I'll say is holy crap I can't believe what I can weld into the car and it still be legal in an outlaw derby :thumbs: No more hiding firewall welds with undercoating :thumbs:

T-Mo

Oh, my. :D It looks like what I saw on the Eisenhower Freeway when I was working in downtown Chicago. :thumbs:

How long does it take to get that thing back in running order again and looking decent? :thumbs:

Nick

Kelly

Now that looks like some fun there. :thumbs: I don't think we even have figure 8 anywhere near this area just the county fair demo derbys.

It has been a while but we have done some some car crushin with a dozer. :thumbs:

Nick in Ohio

th_CatvsCar6.jpgth_CatvsCar4.jpgth_CatvsCar3.jpg

Rollerman

It looks like what I saw on the Eisenhower Freeway when I was working in downtown Chicago.

Thats no lie Terry...I took a trip to Elgin,IL a while back to resue a Lawn Ranger & Yahoo maps took me right through town. :thumbs:

I think next time I will go up across the bridge & down the other side of the lake.

Kelly I'm with nick...no demo's or figure 8's that I know of around me other than the county fairs.

Maybe this could be an off brand garden tractor event at PA?

Non Wheel Horse demo.... :thumbs:

whchris

me and a couple Buddy's have done the craftsman demo Derby's in the back yard we took some safety precautions but two guys still ended up with a broken leg from getting hit from the side one guy got rolled and cut pretty bad helmets coveralls work boots and leather gloves we the clothing requirements but they weren't really enough

Rollerman

but two guys still ended up with a broken leg from getting hit from the side one guy got rolled and cut pretty bad

:thumbs: ...Sometimes the best intentions lead to the worse results huh?

I hope your friends mended up fast?