Sign in to follow this  
pfrederi

Lesson Learned on D series gages

pfrederi

I got my D200 this spring. The gages other than Ammeter didn't work. I replaced the Oil pressure gage with a Sunpro and got crazy readings (100 psi) that fluctuated . I temporarily mounted an old mechanical gage I had on-hand and got reasonable readings, 40-50.

The hydro temp gage also was dead. Got a sunpro temp gage and while mowing temp got up to 250....also with some wild fluctuations.

I had cleaned connections, checked grounds and resistance on the wires... no problems.

Out of desperation I disconnected the regulator. Low and behold both the oil and temp gage gave reasonable readings without the fluctuations. I am assuming the VR is putting out fluctuating current and the voltage may be to high. Will steal a regulator off another tractor (I know I have a spare somewhere but I can't find it) too check.

Bottom Line if your gages have problems check the power supply....

Save Old Iron

Great troubleshooting Paul.

I'm not familiar with the D200 - does it have a voltmeter mounted in the dash panel?

It would be interesting to see how much the voltage was fluctuating at the battery terminals to cause the gauges to jump as they did.

pfrederi

No voltmeter..just an ammeter. The ammeter responded normally (heavy charge just after starting then quickly settling down to 0, and the battery seemed to stay charged so I hadn't really suspected the regulator as the problem child.

Crow Horse

Did you use new senders with the new gauges? If not, the original senders might not be compatible with the Sunpro gauges.......

pfrederi

I used the sunpro sending units.

I had looked at getting original parts but Toro wanted $70 for a sending unit and 50 or so for a gage...I think NOT