Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

Wheel Horse rescue.

Stigian

Life has reached that wonder part if you happen to be a Wheel Horse freak, which I am.

When I told my Wife last week that I was buying another Wh, she didn't even blink..

I guess she knows there is no hope for me now :ychain:

I have know about this poor C-121 for the past 12 years, where it has spent most of those years slowly sinking in a muddy orchard!!

It belonged to my ex-landlord (as he is now) who would never sell it to me on the grounds of he will turn it into a kart for his kids to play on "when they grow up"!!

Once a year for the past 9 years (when I moved to Chateau Da'stig) I have been pestering him to sell it to me, same old answer "when the kids grow up"!!!

This year his answer was "the kids have grown up, but they have no interest in it"..

Yippie, as they say.. A deal was quickly done..

As is the way here, a fun way of getting the C-121 back to the safety of the Workshack..

It's photo time :hide:

The start of the journey, Garry is behind the camera.

CIMG1303.jpg

Loaded up and ready to go.. The spare wheels were brought along just in case we needed to put them on the C-121 as all the tires were flat.

CIMG1304.jpg

The 312-8 pulled the loaded trailer with no problems.

This is the start of "the fun bit", the return home.

CIMG1308.jpg

Having a break to let our hearts slow down after the er.. most dangerous part of the journey.

CIMG1311.jpg

They say madness can strike at any age :ychain:

CIMG1335.jpg

An arty/moody shot from the safety of the plush gardens of Castle da'Stig.

P9030092.jpg

In from the weather for the first time in many many years :scratchead:

P9030122.jpg

whfan74

That is a fantastic save and one of perseverance. I am glad that it finally made it back to your place. I am sure by morning time here in the States it will be up and running around that yard where we can all see it on YouTube! :scratchead:

Thanks for the great pictures! Many of us enjoy your adventures Ian...........definitely keep us posted!

Stigian

For a WH that had spent so many years out in the elements it had survived quite well.

A dirty and flaking engine that turns by hand with good compression.

P9030124.jpg

Me thinks water might of been sitting here a while :hide:

P9030126.jpg

The worst of the rust, or so I thought <_< , nice to have the dealers decal, a part of it's history.

P9030132.jpg

Hmm.. Water had chewed a hole though this front wheel, that's the inner tube sticking through!!

P9030134.jpg

It's not as rusty as the other front wheel!!!

The amazing thing is both of these wheel have been holding their air for a week now :scratchead:

P9030137.jpg

The cutting deck has suffered a bit as well, with seized blades and a few rust holes..

But should repair..

P9060155.jpg

P9060159.jpg

So over all, a bit rusty in places but not too bad......

Until.....

Stigian

Until today when Garry and I thought it was about time we dug a little deeper and did some dismantling/dismembering..

I won't give away too much at this stage as I have a special update planned, but here's a few pic's of the rust we found!!!

P9090056.jpg

P9090058.jpg

P9090087.jpg

hodge

That is a lot of rust. But, you seem to have the mad fabricating skills necessary to revive the beast. Who would of thought that there would be so many Horses there? I think you are having better luck than some folks here. Good job on finding another horse, and working on her instead of parting it out.

WHC-125

Ian, good luck on your new project :scratchead: Another member(Bill) is working on a restoration of a 312-8 that is coming along great and it too was rusted just about as bad as yours when he started. Hopefully Bill can get some more pics up of it!

wheel horse 1045

ouch

Suburban 550

A little rough Ian, but I know in no time at all you'll have it up and runnin'. :scratchead: Some people would rather have them sit and rot rather than sell them. :hide:

Sparky

Boy that does have some serious rot! To bad he didnt strike a deal with you 9 years ago when it was probably in pristine shape.

Either way its in a better place now and even if it doesnt live to mow again I'm sure it'll help one of your other machines live on.

Mike......

Greg Parnell

Hey Ian and the guys,

How long was the trip to get the tractor?

WheelHorse_of_course

Ian,

nice. I recall your mentioning this horse once before. Glad your persistence paid off!

It would seem you needed a project!

cheers

:hide: :scratchead:

stevasaurus

Ian...did I see bullet holes in one of the last pictures? :hide:

Who would shoot a red horse when it"s down? :scratchead:

Looks like a great project...thanks for the pics.

jpmcleod

Sure is nice to see another one rescued from the rust pile. I have two Wheel Horses and I have been trying to buy another one but the guy wants to much for it. It makes me sad to see it just sit there rusting away. Just a quick story. When I was on the sheriff's Dept on midnight shift, I found a 32 chevy sedan sitting in a yard. I tried to but it but the owner would not sell it. I offered to buy a cover for it to keep it out of the weather in the event he changed his mind. I had a fully restored 1940 sedan and offered to trade him even. He would not. That car sat unprotected for years untill the wooden rails in the roof rotted and collapsed. The fenders fell off the brackets and the grill rusted away. The last time I saw it, the frame was on the ground. I really wanted that car but the owner just let it go to He--. I love seeing old Wheel Horses saved. I love them like I did that old 32 Chevy sedan. The more the merrier.

Dsol1

Nice save Ian!!!!!

bitten

Ian all I can do is smile thinking what you have in store for this save you have made. I know that me and the others here cant wait.

Stigian

Howdo Guy's, wow im blown away by the sheer amount of reply's :hide:

But tank you, it means a lot to me to know you all like what I get up to with my Wheel Horse's :scratchead:

Hodge -

Yep loads of rust but luckily only a very little bit of welding was needed..

It's handy having just the right panels "in stock" :ychain:

Chris -

Thanks for the good luck, I need to look up Bill's project and see whats happening.

Wheel Horse 1045 -

Ouch indeed..

Ray -

Yeah, she is a little rough but not too bad.

Mike -

Yeah, I wish we could of struck a deal on it years ago, it would of been a lot less rusty though if I remember rightly the tires were flat all them there years ago.

Greg -

The trip wasn't far only a mile or so, but far enough to make it fun :ychain:

Rolf -

Wow, good memory you have there!!

Lol, I didn't need another project, but as I was chatting to my ex landlord about other things it seemed rude not to ask about it :ychain:

Stigian

Stevasaurus -

I see what you mean about the bullet holes (after having a look at the photo's again) but I don't think they are as the bullets would of had to of gone through the drive belt cover which is fine with no "extra" holes.

Jpmcleod -

Shame about the 32 Chevy, I just can't understand people who leave thing to rot and won't part with them even if they know it will rot beyond use..

Dsol1 -

Thanks dude :scratchead:

Bitten -

I have an update here that should make you smile :ychain:

Right Chap's here's the update you have been waiting for..

Hope you enjoy it :hide:

BRINGING THE C-121 BACK TO LIFE VIDEO LINK

T-Mo

Did someone mention "rust" and "rot"?

Deck

rotteddeck.jpg

Wheel

rottedwheels.jpg

Pulleys

rottedpullleys.jpg

KB9LOR

Love the video! you guys did a super job on it! nice Horse.

Brian

bitten

Yup you got a smile out of me. :scratchead:

Looks like you got her up and going good.

bustedglass

Ian, you never cease to amaze me :scratchead: . Great job, and great vid :hide: .