Sign in to follow this  
stevasaurus

body & fender guys

stevasaurus

gentelmen...I have a 2000 GMC 1500 Siera..pewter. Seems I picked up what I think is some sort of tar product that has spattered the hood of my truck. I am thinking I was following a truck on new road. This stuff is as hard as a rock, almost looks like pits in the paint, but gas with a lot of rubbing will break it down somewhat. It has not hurt the paint. :scratchead:

I tried mineral spirits first with not much success. Gas is a bit better, but not much.

My question is...is there a solvent out there that may cut this, without hurting the paint? I don't want to keep trying things if there is some knowledge out there. :ychain:

wfonelson (joe) this is what you spotted at the show. :hide:

whchris

pb blaster has worked for me if you can stand the smell

HorseFixer

Here are some Ideas from a couple google searches.

Steve here are a couple ideas from searches but many others say WD-40 kinda like WH CHris pointed out many say WD 40 is safe on paint leave it on for a couple hrs to soften. Then wash yer car getting stuff off. :scratchead:

There are some items in your kitchen that may be successful in removing tar. Butter, creamy peanut butter, or vegetable oil applied to the tar and left for 12 to 24 hours should soften in and make it easier to remove. If that doesn't work there are a few items from the garage that may work. WD-40, kerosene, or mineral spirits applied directly to the tar should soften it up and make it easier to remove. WD-40, kerosene, or mineral spirits will most likely remove wax from your car as well.

How To Remove Bugs, Road Tar & Tree Sap

Regular washing alone may not be enough to remove splattered bugs, road tar and tree sap from your vehicle's various surfaces. You may need a few select, specialized cleaners and a touch of patience to remove these contaminants.

Here in Florida we have "love bug" season twice a year and even a simple trip to the grocery store results in mass carnage as hundreds of love bugs spend their final moments being splattered on the front of our cars! In addition to making our cars look awful, these little bugs are very acidic and, if left on, can adversely affect the paint finish. If their remains are left on a vehicle for more than 48 hours, pitting and etching of the paint may result! The two most important things that you can do to prevent damage is keep your vehicle CLEAN and keep your paint PROTECTED.

Quite often we see cars with one to two week's worth of bugs accumulated on the front bumper, grill, hood, windshield, roof and side view mirrors. If the car owner has time they may pull into a tunnel-style car wash where the employees might spray a highly caustic chemical on the bugs to soften them up. Once the bugs are softened by this harsh chemical cleaner, the employee may scrub them off or spray the car with a pressure washer to reveal damage from the acids that the bugs leave all over the paint. In addition to removing bugs, these harsh chemical cleaners strip off any protection that may have been on the paint, so now the finish is even more vulnerable to new attacks!

Here a some suggestions to help your car make it through "bug season" clean and protected.

Jim_M

WD-40 works well. Automatic transmission fluid will also soften tar and asphault without hurting the paint.

Suburban 550

Steve, If the paint on your vehicle is factory paint with clearcoat go to an auto paint store that handles Dupont 3812 enamel reducer. Great for removing tar,wax and grease and will not hurt the factory finish. Remember you will have to re-apply a good coat of wax after your all done. Good luck. :scratchead:

joebob

Steve :hide: I think most of the bases where covered just not the differant brands of products that do pretty much the same thing , just a couple words of advise grass hopper start small, and in a place that doesnt show much till you get the hang of what your using, the Dupont 3812 enamel reducer that suburban 550 said would be my choice that works great for Many things dries fast to and doesnt leave a film like gas and wd 40 etc :scratchead:

stevasaurus

guys...thanks for the information...really appreciated. :scratchead:

Tried just about all of the ideas on small patches...ended up buying the DuPont 3812...and even that took alot of rubbing along with me using my fingernails to scratch off the grit first. Layed the towel on the hood and poured the DuPont on the rag...soaking the rag and then rubbing. You are not kidding, that stuff dries fast. Anyway, I got it cleaned, and the finish looks unharmed. :hide:

Thanks again :ychain:

Suburban 550

Glad to see it worked out for you, Steve. :scratchead: Hope it don't happen again.

VinsRJ

pb blaster has worked for me if you can stand the smell

I like the smell of PB Blaster :scratchead: