SylvanLakeWH 32,455 #251 Posted Wednesday at 10:19 PM Recycled "Bread & Butter" Onions Not a recipe per se, but as I was getting ready to empty the bread and butter pickle juice after finishing the last pickle, it dawned on me that onions would taste great soaked in said pickle juice!!! Well, I chunked up a couple onions and putt them in the jar and next day they were fantastic!!! Gonna try dill next... 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,104 #252 Posted Wednesday at 11:40 PM 1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said: Recycled "Bread & Butter" Onions Not a recipe per se, but as I was getting ready to empty the bread and butter pickle juice after finishing the last pickle, it dawned on me that onions would taste great soaked in said pickle juice!!! Well, I chunked up a couple onions and putt them in the jar and next day they were fantastic!!! Gonna try dill next... Hard boiled eggs are great pickled too. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
adsm08 5,117 #253 Posted Thursday at 12:57 AM 1 hour ago, 953 nut said: Hard boiled eggs are great pickled too. If you like the taste of floor cleaner I suppose that's true. 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Ed Kennell 47,250 #254 Posted Thursday at 02:55 AM 4 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said: Recycled "Bread & Butter" Onions Not a recipe per se, but as I was getting ready to empty the bread and butter pickle juice after finishing the last pickle, it dawned on me that onions would taste great soaked in said pickle juice!!! Well, I chunked up a couple onions and putt them in the jar and next day they were fantastic!!! Gonna try dill next... I do the same with my bread and butter pickle juice. I use half onion and half cucumber sliced thin. Fantastic is the word. 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
adsm08 5,117 #255 Posted 9 hours ago On 9/30/2026 at 7:40 PM, 953 nut said: Hard boiled eggs are great pickled too. On 9/30/2026 at 8:57 PM, adsm08 said: If you like the taste of floor cleaner I suppose that's true. @953 nut Pickled anything reeks of, and tastes primarily like vinegar. I know a lot of people do use it as a condiment, but it's actually a cleaning solvent. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,104 #256 Posted 9 hours ago 3 minutes ago, adsm08 said: Pickled anything reeks of, and tastes primarily like vinegar. Brine, vinegar and dill seeds is about all that is in there, the ratio of each is up to you. My Grandmother added sugar and garlic making a sweet dill pickle. The juice from those pickles would pickle onion slices overnight as well as hard boiled eggs. Too bad my wife doesn't like pickles, writing this puts me in the mood to make up a batch., 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Handy Don 17,455 #257 Posted 8 hours ago 58 minutes ago, adsm08 said: I know a lot of people do use it as a condiment, When you get to the UK, give a try to chips (french fries) with a sprinkle of cider vinegar. I agree it’s not for everyone, but ya gotta try it before you knock it! Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
adsm08 5,117 #258 Posted 8 hours ago 1 minute ago, Handy Don said: When you get to the UK, give a try to chips (french fries) with a sprinkle of cider vinegar. I agree it’s not for everyone, but ya gotta try it before you knock it! Been there, done that, cleaning solvent. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Ed Kennell 47,250 #259 Posted 5 hours ago 2 hours ago, Handy Don said: When you get to the UK, give a try to chips (french fries) with a sprinkle of cider vinegar. I agree it’s not for everyone, but ya gotta try it before you knock it! No need to cross the pond. Every good french friy maker ( Thrashers, Brickers, etc.) have vinegar available. I had vinegar fries today at the Steam O Rama tractor show. 3 hours ago, 953 nut said: Too bad my wife doesn't like pickles Mrs. K. makes a sweet and sour sauce with bacon, hard boiled eggs and lettuce. One of my fave summer salads Share this post Link to post Share on other sites