Sign in to follow this  
Jim_M

New toy

Jim_M

I picked this up today. Don't ask me why, I'll tell you the same thing I told my wife..... Why not?

It runs and works great, the price was right and I didn't have to drive far to get it.

untitled12-1.jpg

untitled11-1.jpg

Sparky

Hmmm....neat! Is it one of those "TUGS" you see at airports dragging luggage around?

Mike......

perry

:scratchead:

Kelly

Looks like you can put a lot of crap in the bucket, how high does it go?? need a set of forks to move tractors around

d180man

Nice as long as the price was right! :scratchead: but it is a nice loader nice big scoop! :hide: :ychain:

Jim_M

It does look like a luggage cart tug, doesn't it? Or a forklift.

It's actually a factory built unit. It's a Ford, has a 4 cyl. overhead valve engine, looks like the same engine as a 9N tractor and sounds like one too. I'm not sure of the year but I'm guessing mid 50's to mid 60's.

It's hard to gauge the size by the pictures but it's 11 feet long from the tip of the trailer hitch to the front of the bucket and the bucket is 4 feet wide. The front tires are 7.50 x 15" and the rears are 7.50 x 12". It has a lever that controls forward and reverse and a 4 speed transmission, so it basically has 4 speed ranges forward and 4 reverse, coupled to a narrow 9" Ford differential. Top speed in 1st is a little slower than the average baby can crawl, top speed in 4th is about 20mph. I'm not man enough to go backwards in 4th. It has independent hydraulic turning brakes and will spin around in it's own length, turns almost as tight as a skid steer loader.

It will lift about 10 feet. I'm not sure what the weight rating is but it will lift anything I need to lift. The guy I got it from lifted the front of a wrecked F150 and shoved it around the barnyard to demonstrate it to me and it didn't phase it a bit.

I don't know what it weighs but judging from the way my trailer sat with this parked on it I'm guessing it's around 6,000 pounds.

I think I can convert it to quick attach bucket pretty easily and make up a set of forks for it.

stevasaurus

Jim...I'm with you...don't need it either, but I sure could use it once in a while.

My wife would plant flowers in the bucket, so I could store it on the front lawn. :scratchead:

nice find!

bustedglass

:scratchead: :hide::ychain: . All I can say is, WTF .....

Jim_M

I'm an old farm boy and I used to run heavy equipment. You get used to having equipment to do the a job and it gets hard to do without. You would be surprised all the little things that can be done much easier with an ugly old beast like this.

I have a loader on a D160 and most of the time it does what I need it to do, but once in a while it just doesn't have enough power and/or traction to get the job done. And if I need to do a lot of work with it in one day it wears you out not having power steering.

I set out looking for a small skid steer loader but ran across this one for a lot less money and figured I could live with it.

Red Iron

Wow, what a toy, tho not a horse, at least it's red and looks like it could

stack some clunkers out of your way to make room for the stuff you really

want. Neat find! :scratchead:

Rollerman

Jim I see these sitting around at a few places we have paved over the years.

Mostly mulch companies or founderies....but they just sit unused & pretty sad looking replaced by newer equipment.

They always seemed to be used on an improved surface too...concrete,asphalt or gravel.....curious how well one would work if the going got a little soft.

Next time I'm down I'll have to check it out. :scratchead:

bitten

I know that I would find alot of things to use it for. I'm with you Jim, once you have used the proper equipment to do things it really sucks when you have to do with out.

Cool find. :scratchead: