Sign in to follow this  
jst1more

Found a stray in the most unlikely places

jst1more

We have a young man who works part time for us, and he called asking if I wanted another Wheel Horse. Seems he was assisting at the South Bend Fire Department (he's taking schooling to become a fireman), and the depatment used this old Wheel Horse for years to mow around the station. The old WH sat by the street with a free sign on it for a week with no takers. The department was ready to junk it .Sad part of the story is that they replaced it with a Deere.

When dropped off, all I saw was red paint. Seems they liked to keep it red and the last few paint jobs covered all the decals. The dash looked mid sixties but the hood and mower deck were early seventies. To accomadate the newer deck, someone (maybe the factory) did a very nice job of extending the frame and mounting a front pulley system. The kohler engine locks when turned by hand. After some scrubing the model # is 1-4831.

Sorry for the long story, but thought it was neat find

TJ

:scratchead: :hide:

Red Iron

:scratchead:

That's what you get for listening! Great way to start a collection!

HorseFixer

:ychain: So yer trolling in my back yard eh! :hide: Just keep yer trolling South of the State Line! :scratchead: Welcome to Red Square! And nice find!

Kelly

Nice find the price was right, you have a 1968 comando 8 post a picture or two if you can.