Sign in to follow this  
hitman5079

1985 310-8 wonts start please help!

hitman5079

somebody plllleeeeeaaase help...1985 310-8 will not start...shut off in the middle of cuttin...gave it a new battery..new switch..took the wiring harness out checked entire harness...visually and metered it for continuity.. ive come to realize that my local " pros " no nothing about wheelhorse mowers..could it be the solenoid? :scratchead:

C-Series14

Engine ground wire broken? Ammeter wire off? Just the 2 things that happened to me over the last 20 years so that's all I got! :scratchead:

Have you tried jumping the solenoid???

hitman5079

i have no guages or anything...i can jump to the starter or the starter side of the solenoid and it will fire and run for a moment then die...do u mean the ground/kill wire off the engine or the main ground?

C-Series14

Well, I don't know as much as others on the 300 Series, my C-Series has a ground wire down on the engine plate. If it started bypassing the solenoid, it might be bad, don't know why it died though... :scratchead:

hitman5079

okay thanks...is the white ceramic part a resistor or rectifier? or are they the same? when i meter it should it show open? is there anyway to check voltage at the solenoid to show if its bad? one guy at a mower shop said that if i meter to the small post on the solenoid and it shows 12 volts when i hit the switch that means its bad...tooo many questions....goin cross eyed....been tryin to figure this out for 2 days now

C-Series14

Not a clue...all of my tractors are C-Series. You could go to Toro's site and see if the ops manuals and electrical troubleshooting guide are available, it has the wiring diagram in it OR wait and see if someone here can help. Several folks here with the 300 Series...

C-Series14

Go to the "Engines" section and read "417-8 won't start".