Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Tires too many to choose from.

nylyon

Well, I am going to purchase some new tires for the C-120 project. What do you think of these for the back?

D405(SEG).jpg

and these for the front

D837.jpg

Or should I go with the traditional Turf tires?

kj4kicks

Hi Karl, I personally prefer the turf tires for the front, no matter what. As for the back tires, those tractor tires will give you great "dig", but they can be hard on the grass. My 1077 has turf tires all the way around, which is great for just mowing. I have chains for when the snowblower is on it.

My FEL came with those big "V" style tires. I have run it some, and they do chew up the grass !!! I'm not sure how they'll do in the snow, but I'm going to try it out before I put chains on. Of course, I'll have the chains ready, cuz it'll be COLD then !

Bottom line, pick the tires that suit your needs.....

Eldon.

nylyon

This tractor will be more of a riding tractor for the kids and not see too much work. I agree, having AG's on the 414 it does dig up the lawn a lot more than the turfs on the 416. But I just love the combination of those tires and how they look!

nylyon

Ok, other choices are the turf-trac R/S which is what I have on the 416

product_large.jpg

or something more original

product_large.jpg

or a little different....

product_large.jpg

Starting to lean a little towards turf tires..... but still love the looks of the AG's

Rollerman

Karl I like that combo too, only negative I can say about the smoothies or "ribs" in front is that they don't work great for snow...but they don't cut the grass as bad as turfs when your makeing agressive turn on grass.

About the same with lugers on the yard...not a biggy unless there is a lot of turning for the lugs to bite into.

But I do like the smoothies in front "or tri rib's" with lugs in back.

The RS turfs looks good too...I beleive thats what is on my 520?

Stephen in northern IN

Sparky

The Turf-Trac-RS tires are my favorites. I like the 2 ply tires over the 4 or 6 ply as they seem to "mold and flex" to whatever terrain their going over. They also give the operator a softer ride.

I have one tractor with front and rear Ag's and if I crank the steering wheel in the yard it will leave marks from the front Ag's. Wife doesnt like that.

Mike.....

Rollerman

Sparky....just curious...wasn't it you that come across an ATV lately?

I know they do wonders on the grass.

But how do you like the ag's in front?

Stephen in northern IN

Sparky

Yep, I recently got an ATV. Its a Honda Rancher 350 thats in 4x4 all the time so yes it does tear up the yard real quick. Luckily I have access to 30 acres of woods and swamp to ride in.

As far as the front Ag's, they are only slightly better than turfs up front as far as gripping goes. I think with like 20#s on each front rim they might bite better but they're 4 ply or 6 ply tires so their real hard. Even if I try to air em down they have a real stiff rubber compound that doesnt let em flex.

Mike...

Rollerman

I've been curious about ag's in front...not my style but my son wants them badly for one of his tractors.

Now I know why...so he can tear up grass!

Yeah the quads really eat up the turf, but with no diff in back your always dragging a tire in a corner.

My son keeps his at his grandads who has a 5 acres's but Tay does run across the grass alot!

Stephen in northern IN

Curmudgeon

My preference is turf treads on the front. Kind of like those newer diamond shaped treads the best. No matter the tread, keep to the 2-plys for the smoother ride. For me, and my old back, it's mostly about ride anymore. That's why I have 24x12x12's on my 416-8 now. On rims too narrow, so they are all bent in, 6psi, LOTS of sidewall flex. Almost like having springs.

One thing I've noticed, that seems to be unique to me, is I tear up the sod LESS with lugs than I do turfs. Seems all my hills and valleys leaves me spinning at times, even with wheel weights. With the lug, the spinning is greatly reduced and overall, leaves the sod in better shape.

When they do spin however, oooooooo doggies!!!!

Dale, in Michigan