Sign in to follow this  
v65animal

Considering Wheel Horse Purchase

v65animal

My Dad had an early 80's WH 308 I believe, thing looked huge with a tiny looking engine in that frame.

Anyway, in 2001 I bought a JD LT133, it's still running fine, I'd just like to get something else. I considered the new Craftsman Professional series with the 48" deck they run about $2,199

I'm in northern Alabama now, so no need for a snow blade/thrower and it's very unlikely I would use a plow or tiller. I have a cart to pull and a grass sweeper, but the LT133 does that just fine.

I'm interested in a WH for the frame. Is the cast iron frame really stronger than the new 11 gauge steel frames? I believe Cub Cadet has a 9 gauge frame now, however I can't find anyone that makes a cast iron frame, just the front axle.

My thought is to get a 14hp or larger Wheel Horse in good condition and just keep it up forever.

Can you still get parts easily?

I know the Kohler we had on the 308 didn't have an Oil Filter, did any of the Kohler's have them? I assume the Onan's did? Is that really a big deal?

What are the A, B, and 200 models about? I assume they do not have a full cast iron frame, they are lawn Mowers, not tractors, correct?

Hydrostatic transmission are they were foot operated like a gas pedal in a car, or a lever you have to move with your hand. How long do the hydrostatics last compared to the manual?

If so, I guess I would want a 300, 400, 500 or a C, D or E if they made an E.

Any leads on one in North Alabama or Southern Tennessee appreciated. Anyone want to buy an LT133? :scratchead:

I'm in no hurry, the LT is running fine.

Thanks,

Sam

plowmaster

the cast iron you are referring to is in the front axle, the frame itself is cold rolled steel, witch is common for all size tractors. i beleive the weak spot in the frame is where the transaxle meets the frame, and thats only when using it as a bulldozer.

bitten

Good luck on your search and :scratchead:

nylyon

My Dad had an early 80's WH 308 I believe, thing looked huge with a tiny looking engine in that frame.

Anyway, in 2001 I bought a JD LT133, it's still running fine, I'd just like to get something else. I considered the new Craftsman Professional series with the 48" deck they run about $2,199

I'm in northern Alabama now, so no need for a snow blade/thrower and it's very unlikely I would use a plow or tiller. I have a cart to pull and a grass sweeper, but the LT133 does that just fine.

I'm interested in a WH for the frame. Is the cast iron frame really stronger than the new 11 gauge steel frames? I believe Cub Cadet has a 9 gauge frame now, however I can't find anyone that makes a cast iron frame, just the front axle.

The Wheel Horse frames are not cast iron, but welded angle iron. The frames are much stronger than stamped steel.

My thought is to get a 14hp or larger Wheel Horse in good condition and just keep it up forever.That's a good plan and very possible with a Wheel Horse

Can you still get parts easily?

Many parts are still available new from dealers, most if not all are available from eBay, Craigslist etc.

I know the Kohler we had on the 308 didn't have an Oil Filter, did any of the Kohler's have them? I assume the Onan's did? Is that really a big deal?

If you don't have any steep slopes you don't need a pressurized oil system. If you would be mowing on the side of a hill (a lot) consider a horse with pressurized oil system

What are the A, B, and 200 models about? I assume they do not have a full cast iron frame, they are lawn Mowers, not tractors, correct?

The A, some B and 200 series are lawn tractors. Not really designed for ground engaging attachments. There are some B series which are Garden tractors (B-80) just not as strong.

Hydrostatic transmission are they were foot operated like a gas pedal in a car, or a lever you have to move with your hand. How long do the hydrostatics last compared to the manual?

They are lever operated and if treated right will last a very long time.

If so, I guess I would want a 300, 400, 500 or a C, D or E if they made an E.

Yes, there is an E series, it is an electric model, and you probably don't want that.

Any leads on one in North Alabama or Southern Tennessee appreciated. Anyone want to buy an LT133? :hide:

I'm in no hurry, the LT is running fine.

Thanks,

Sam

:scratchead: