Jordanjames

Transmission overhaul and model

Jordanjames

Anybody know the transmision model on my 1974 m:103809 s:1016114?

It's all jammed up. Opening it up this week 

wallfish

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Jammed up?

Like possibly stuck in 2 gears at once?   Pull the shifter out and look inside. The shifter forks hole should look like a small rectangle when it's in the neutral position and both forks centered. One should ALWAYS be centered depending on gear selection. If both forks are off center it's in 2 gears at once and will Lock up.

You can use a large screw driver to move them if that's the case.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

gwest_ca

Original transmission would be a model 5091

Jordanjames

I have this manual to dissamble. Is it the right one ?

17180717742656472184734332183410.jpg

• Like 1

Jordanjames

Wallfish. Thanks for some info. I just tried exactly what you had suggested. The gear move very easily. Nothing jammed. The hi lo however is stuck in hi I bealive. The pulley on the outside of the transmission stopped moving while I was cutting grass. It now moves a little and slips once a revolution 

• Thanks 1

ri702bill

Look for two items when you open it.

The shift fork for Hi-Lo could be broken...

Stray needle bearing rollers (needles) from a broken bearing that can damage gear teeth..... they may show up in the catch pan along with the oil when you drain the Unidrive.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Jordanjames said:

I have this manual to dissamble. Is it the right one ?

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Yes that'll work. 

There are several videos in our Transmission Section to help you. 

Be sure to have a good place to hold the transmission securely on a bench or work surface. 

Once you've got it open post more pics. We'll help you through whatever you need to do or replace. 

Parts are still readily available by placing an ad on our Wanted section or contacting one of the vendors here on Redsquare.  

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, Jordanjames said:

Wallfish. Thanks for some info. I just tried exactly what you had suggested. The gear move very easily. Nothing jammed. The hi lo however is stuck in hi I bealive. The pulley on the outside of the transmission stopped moving while I was cutting grass. It now moves a little and slips once a revolution 

:WRS:

Good deal,   :woohoo:          sounds like you don't need to dive into the transmission.  The pulley has a set-screw and a square key locking it to the shaft. Sounds like the set-screw isn't tight and the key has broken or come out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Exactly, sounds like a set screw or woodruff key for the pulley. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Jordanjames

If the Woodruff key or set screw was broken wouldn't the pulley spin non stop rather than stop spinning completely?

Maybe I'm wrong but that's where my troubleshooting goes 

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Jordanjames said:

If the Woodruff key or set screw was broken wouldn't the pulley spin non stop rather than stop spinning completely?

Sounds right. 

Any chance of video ?

Jordanjames

Is there any of these transmissions for sale on this site?

wallfish
Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2024 at 9:46 PM, Jordanjames said:

The woodruff key is still possibly catching in the key way groove or the pulley groove. It doesn't just completely disappear. Remove the pulley off the shaft and inspect it is the best advice. Internet diagnostics is tougher than being right there and what was suggested would be the most common issue according to your description of the problem. "It now moves a little and slips once a revolution" Have you checked yet? Maybe we are misunderstanding  ???

Post an ad for a trans in the wanted section or search the for sale section in the classifieds for a trans.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

Jordanjames

IMG_03791.jpg

• Sad 1

stevasaurus

Looks like you found the problem.  Do you know what you are looking at?? :eusa-think:

It's hard to say, but it looks like the high/low gear is distroyed.  I would imagine the high/low shift mechanism is toast also.

To get a good handle on this, line up all gears and take some good pictures for us to look at.  We can tell you what parts you need then.  If you have 1 1/8" axles, take a picture of the end of the differential...it sounds like we are calling the transmission a #5091.  The parts you might need will be cheaper the buying another transmission and having it shipped.  A-Z may have the parts and maybe the shift mechanism.  Check out this thread of the #5091.

• Like 3

squonk
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jordanjames said:

Is there any of these transmissions for sale on this site?

I can get my hands on one pretty quick. But you'd have to cross the border to get it. I'm in Central N.Y. Complete tractor CHEEP 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Jordanjames
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I can get my hands on one pretty quick. But you'd have to cross the border to get it. I'm in Central N.Y. Complete tractor CHEEP 

Whats cheap ?

squonk
24 minutes ago, Jordanjames said:

Whats cheap ?

I'll send you a PM

• Excellent 1

squonk

Jordan has a C160. I can get a 310-8 roller. Does any one know of any reason it wouldn't be a direct bolt in?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, squonk said:

Jordan has a C160. I can get a 310-8 roller. Does any one know of any reason it wouldn't be a direct bolt in?

As long as it has the 1 1/8 axles it's nearly identical. 

If it's the smaller 1" axles the 310-8 transmission will work but has the 4 pinion transmission. For most duties that's perfectly fine. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

As long as it has the 1 1/8 axles it's nearly identical. 

If it's the smaller 1" axles the 310-8 transmission will work but has the 4 pinion transmission. For most duties that's perfectly fine. 

Hubs will be on it so axle diameter really won't matter.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Look at your #14 post.  I think this picture shows most of what is damaged.  The high/low gear and shift mechanism.  

I'm pretty sure these parts are the same in both 8 speed transmissioons ie...the one with 1" axles and the one with 1 1/8" axles

DSCF9230.JPG

ebinmaine
18 hours ago, Jordanjames said:

@Jordanjames

I'm just curious if you know EXACTLY when your transmission stopped? 

Catastrophic event or over time?

squonk

The way that gear was busted up, this area of the case is probably toast.

8.jpg.d6d25f532b5520484d94180a9111012f.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

My thoughts exactly Mike.  Not much there, but it is fixable...maybe.  Jordenjames needs to give us some good pictures of all the gears and the indside of the trans cases...especially where that shaft goes.  :occasion-xmas:  I would also like to have pictures of that plate that shows the model numbers.

He said it was a 1974, but his numbers aren't matching up.  I am thinking it is a 16 hp 1-0380 "C-160" with a #5091 trans.  8 speed with 1 1/8" axles and an 8 pinion differential.  :bow-blue: