Sign in to follow this  
pbradley68

Can't keep a good (mostly dead) Wheel Horse down

pbradley68

In my Craigslist travels looking for a rototiller for another Wheel Horse I own I came across this very weathered 1985 312-8 which had been sitting outside unused for at least 5 years. I was mainly interested in buying only the 1990 36" 0736TL04 Rototiller but neither the owner or myself was interested in taking off the tractor mounted Rototiller pulleys and such because it was a rainy miserable day. I asked for a bottom line price for both and he said $75 for Rototiller and $75 for the 312-8 and I accepted. I installed a new $1.20 Autolite spark plug, flushed out the orange gas, and cleaned the carb with half a can of $1.25 Wal-Mart generic carb cleaner. I then popped on the battery charger/starter and sprayed some of my favorite Wal-Mart generic starting fluid into the carb and much to my surprise it started after a few tries. It smoked briefly in the beginning but then settled down and ran smooth and clean. It was running so well I took it for a brief cruise around the driveway and everything worked. Photos of the rusty beast are in the link below. I bought my first Wheel Horse a few months ago and I must say the resilience of these machines utterly amazes me.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pauljbradley/WheelHorse3128#

qd-16

What a deal, what a deal!! :scratchead:

TJ

Looks like we have a horse thief amongst us. :scratchead:

sodbuster

:scratchead: I think someone caught the red fever!!!!

pbradley68

I found this C-81 last week for $100. It came with two decks and 3 extra blades. The owner said it's been sitting for a couple years and would bog out on hills due to what they thought was a fuel pump related issue. Also, one of the front wheels seems to have a broken spindle. I'm going to push it into my basement tonight and give it a closer inspection. The 42" deck model 78345-5901157 is in amazing shape. When I looked up what a new 42" deck costs I couldn't believe they are close to a $1000 retail. The other 36" rear discharge deck 36MR00-09154 is still in really good shape. I think the best feature of this Wheel Horse is the plant growing out the middle of the seat. Included in the link below are some photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pauljbradley/WheelHorseC81#

nylyon

That 42" deck is a 1995 (according to the serial number) BUT it is in really nice shape. Either way, it's a steal for $100 VERY nice

pbradley68

:ychain: I think someone caught the red fever!!!!

Red Fever? who me? deny deny deny :scratchead: I've only bought 5 since my first one a month and a half ago. At my current rate that will only be 40 Wheel Horse tractors per year (seems reasonable enough to me). If I build a 100' X 50' X 20' radiant floor heated pole barn and stack them I'll be good for a few few years at least :hide:

MikesRJ

But it begs the question, what did the wife say when you got home with a new steed?

pbradley68

But it begs the question, what did the wife say when you got home with a new steed?

My girlfriend encourages it if it makes me happy but she may be swayed by my financial support while she's been in medical school LOL Plus, I'd buy even more out of spite if I was given grief about it. LOL One can never have too much "stuff". I thought it was the person who dies with the most toys wins? :scratchead:

linen beige

My girlfriend encourages it if it makes me happy but she may be swayed by my financial support while she's been in medical school LOL Plus, I'd buy even more out of spite if I was given grief about it. LOL One can never have too much "stuff". I thought it was the person who dies with the most toys wins? :ychain:

Such bravado.... We ALL read where you posted that you were going to push it into your basement tonight. We ALL know that means you're going to sneak it into the house quietly under cover of darkness and hope she doesn't go downstairs until you think up a good story. :scratchead:

Oh wait! You said girlfriend, not wife...... never mind. :hide:

pbradley68

Such bravado.... We ALL read where you posted that you were going to push it into your basement tonight. We ALL know that means you're going to sneak it into the house quietly under cover of darkness and hope she doesn't go downstairs until you think up a good story. :scratchead:

Oh wait! You said girlfriend, not wife...... never mind. :hide:

She saw me sliding on the wet grass and actually helped push it in. She's probably just being nice to get a big engagement ring. LOL

bitten

Good deals. Wish I could find deals like that. :scratchead:

linen beige

She's probably just being nice to get a big engagement ring. LOL

:scratchead::hide:

If'n ya do that you'll never get the 'horses out again.

Seriously though, she sounds like a keeper. Good luck.

Think she'd settle for a black onyx tire, opal rim and ruby horse head done up in a setting that looks like the Wheel Horse emblem?