Sign in to follow this  
clintonnut

DUNE BUGGY PROJECT

clintonnut

I finally decided to post this project. We started building this buggy in 2003 and it's been an on off project since. Last year we got it running then had to rethink the drive setup. I am making a bigger sprocket for it so that should make it drive. I also had aluminum body panels made and they aren't pictured but will be by the end of September. It has a 1971 Arctic Cat Puma 340 motor, VW axles and hubs, etc. Don't worry that is just a temporary gas tank. The rear tires are TSL ATV Super Swampers that are 25x13.50x10!

ENJOY!!

gocart4.jpg

gocart1.jpg

dunebuggyside.jpg

dunebuggyfront.jpg

dunebuggyengine340cc.jpg

dunebuggyseatbelts.jpg

dunebuggyinterior.jpg

Charlie

WHC-125

Charlie, looks really cool! :scratchead: I have a 84 Honda odyssey fl-250 that I had since I was younger and I am doing a top end on it now.

clintonnut

My friend has one too. They are pretty cool. I was thinking of a FL350 tranny for this but it wouldn't hold up.

Charlie

Rollerman

Very cool Charlie!

Is the frame pre made, a knock down kit, or something you designed & made?

So how long before you drop in a sport bike engine/trans combo.

clintonnut

I was thinking of a goldwing engine but it's too heavy, then i was thinking a KAW 650.

The plans are from desertkarts.com but we built the whole kart. Lots of pipe and mig welding.

Charlie

TJ

Looks tough. :scratchead: Are you going to paint it red? :hide:

clintonnut

I was thinking black with red hubs, and polished side panels

Charlie

canam1991

if you want to make that cat motor run stop over at my house :hide: need to put a 38mm mukuni and aaen pipes :scratchead: you used the clutches and chain case off it to...

clintonnut

I might upgrade to a 500 twin carb out of an arctic cat if i need to

Charlie

bell

Cool project Charlie!!! :scratchead:

VinsRJ

I guess I'm the only one willing to ask..... no Clinton? :scratchead:

Cool project!

HorseFixer

I guess I'm the only one willing to ask..... no Clinton? :hide:

Cool project!

Good one Vin :ychain: No doubt if they made one big enough he would put one in there! :scratchead: Looks great Charlie :ychain:

bitten

VinsRJ I was thinking the same thing. :scratchead:

Charlie that is a very cool rig, bet you will have a great time with it. Just be carefull and dont hurt yourself with it.

whfan74

Great looking project. You are one ambitious, talented young man. Looks as though you will have a blast with this project.

Thanks for the pics and I am sure I speak for the rest of us.........be careful and we can't wait to see the finished product.

clintonnut

Thanks guys (for comments and joke) !! I will probably be working on it again in the next couple weeks. It is probably safer than a Ford Festiva with the roll cage, 5pt harness etc.

Charlie

Red Iron

Neat looking project and speaking of a Festiva, there's one for sale near

me with 3 cylinder in it :scratchead:

Just have fun with it when ya get er done!

joebob

Charlie are you running a second jack shaft ? I have one like yours thats a 500 twin and thats the only way I could get the gearing down enough to get it going and stop burning belts The snow moblle clutch is not engaging till about 3000 and the engine doesn't really make any big hp till about 6000 and if your gearing is to high, no torque to get you going, I can send you a photo of my set up if you like I have more then one set up, I also have racer set up the same way just used the chain case from the sled with the driver assembly turned down for a gear to mount to good luck there LOTS of fun

.5racer

Is that the gas tank out front ? I would look for a better place to mount for the purpose of a FUEL spray on you at a fast speed . Other than that ,GREAT job !!!

Duff

Is that the gas tank out front ? I would look for a better place to mount for the purpose of a FUEL spray on you at a fast speed . Other than that ,GREAT job !!!

Terry, back in his first post Charlie said, "Don't worry that is just a temporary gas tank."

Charlie's a talented and sharper than average kid - I don't think he's interested in troasting his own marshmallow! :scratchead:

Duff :hide: