Sparky

414 Kohler Mag electrical

Sparky

Messing with my 414 project and the electrical is screwy. I really should be better at this:blink: !

Battery is good, shows 12.7 on my meter. When I hit the key I have 10.3 or so on the small wire to the solenoid in the RUN position ( not 12.7). And again in the start position I have 10.3 
  I cleaned up and redid the main ground so that’s good. 
  But once the wire that triggers the solenoid is reattached it has no voltage and the solenoid does nothing. That 10.3 volts showing on the meter is gone. 
  Thoughts? The fact that I’m getting some voltage must mean the safety switches aren’t causing the issue right?? 

IMG_3086.jpeg

IMG_3085.jpeg

ri702bill

Mike - could you "circumvent" ( PC way of saying bypass) the switches JUST for Test Purposes (of course) to see if the voltage drop is in THAT circuit alone...

OK - I'm done "Tap Dancing".....

An E-lectrician with wiring issues is like the Cobbler's kids going barefoot all summer...:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

• Haha 2

Sparky

Yeah, got aggravated and walked away. Plan to load up the wiring diagram on my iPad and get into it again this weekend. 
 Came to me with messed up wiring, so it’s going to take some time to figure out. 

• Like 1

squonk

I would think you shouldn't have any voltage at the small wire of the solenoid in the run position. Plus the low voltage indicates major voltage drop. I'm guessing your switch is kaputski.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
5 minutes ago, squonk said:

I would think you shouldn't have any voltage at the small wire of the solenoid in the run position.

I agree. Who needs the starter trying to turn once the engine is running.

Now, the small/+ wire at the coil, that’s a different story.

That said. I’d say you might have a well-past-its-prime battery that doesn’t have the guts to deliver anymore. @pfrederi can jump in with his plaque image :lol:  

• Haha 1

Sparky
9 minutes ago, squonk said:

I would think you shouldn't have any voltage at the small wire of the solenoid in the run position. Plus the low voltage indicates major voltage drop. I'm guessing your switch is kaputski.

Correct. What’s throwing me off is both having voltage there and the fact that it’s so low. I’m doing all this using jumper cables and my boat battery. 
  I do have another ignition switch here, will try that next time. 

• Like 1

wallfish

Also guessing switch as there definitely should be 0 v in the run position, and voltage drop is resistance somewhere. Voltage drop could be through the wiring and safety switches but the key switch cuts all voltage in the run position

• Like 2

squonk

Just a thought. Try a different brand meter. I 've had more than 1 Fluke meter lead me on a wild goose chase because it was too sensitive.

• Like 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, Handy Don said:

@pfrederi can jump in with his plaque

:confusion-confused:      What is Paul doing with MY plaque?        :angry-tappingfoot:

1278705547_1electrical.jpg.fffc6339476d221ae0a44eeedfd30ea7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

JoeM
11 hours ago, squonk said:

Fluke meter lead me on a wild goose chase because it was too sensitive

yep, just picking up stray voltage from the ign switch. 

but with it off and hitting the key and not getting full battery voltage, I thinking like Mike the ign sw is bad.

Handy Don
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

13 hours ago, Handy Don said:

@pfrederi can jump in with his plaque

:confusion-confused:      What is Paul doing with MY plaque?        :angry-tappingfoot:

Oops. My bad for sure. I’ll owe you a recreational beverage at the Show!

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Mike, we just had a couple solenoids not engaging when we measured 12v at the solenoid trigger wire.   Found the 25 AMP fuse holder corroded just enough to pass 12v to the meter, but not enough oonph  to pull in the solenoid.       Just sayin.      Sounds like a leaky ign. switch too.

• Thanks 1

Sparky

I don’t have as much time to tinker as I wish I could have…but messed with this one again tonight. 
  Turned out the low oil relay wasn’t closing. Oil is right up to the full mark. 
  Bypassed that and she turns over and starts/stops as it should :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_3183.jpeg

IMG_3184.jpeg

• Like 3

wallfish
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I don’t have as much time to tinker as I wish I could have…but messed with this one again tonight. 
  Turned out the low oil relay wasn’t closing. Oil is right up to the full mark. 
  Bypassed that and she turns over and starts/stops as it should :handgestures-thumbupright:

So you can do electrical work and diagnostics! Who'd a thunk that? LOL  :ychain:

Nice job hunting it down Mike. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1