Brockport Bill

Trufuel ??

Brockport Bill

Seems like recently I read somewhere -- Facebook, or here, or elsewhere, that someone puts Trufuel - which has some oil in it for 2 cycle engines --  into their tractor gas tank in small amounts on some periodic occassions. I don't recall if this adding Trufuel 2 cycle fuel was done regularly or only after an engine had sat for an extended time unused therefore benefiting by some oil in the cylinder for lubrication ?????? Is anyone familiar with this idea?  Does it make sense? Thanks, Bill50:1 Pre-Mixed Fuel Plus Oil

• Like 1

JoeM

I'm like you, I use 2 cycle gas as starting fluid. 

I just think it would smoke a little if added to the tank ??

• Like 2

kpinnc

That stuff is awful. I would not put it in anything with a carburetor.

My Stihl trimmer and chain saw ran great until I used ONE can of that stuff. Had to replace carbs on both, and all fuel lines. Additionally, the stuff leaves gobs of oil all over everything. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Bill D

I've used Trufuel without any issues for years, but maybe I just got lucky.  I like to start engines that haven't been run in a long time using two-stroke mix.  I figure a little extra lubricant can't hurt if the engine hasn't run in years.  I also like to store equipment long term using two-stroke mix.  For that I'll use Stihl full synthetic mix oil and ethanol free gas.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, kpinnc said:

That stuff is awful. I would not put it in anything with a carburetor

Agreed.  There's plenty of evidence online to show it should not be used.  

5 hours ago, Bill D said:

ethanol free gas.

That's the answer. 

• Like 1

kpinnc
6 hours ago, Bill D said:

Stihl full synthetic mix

Stihl used to make exceptional equipment. I say that only because I haven't bought any for over 10 years.

Point being- Stihl 2-stroke oil should be very good stuff. I would not be afraid to use it at all in an engine that hasn't run regularly with ethanol-free gas. 

But Trufuel is garbage. I wouldn't use it in anything.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Stihl used to make exceptional equipment.  

Point being- Stihl 2-stroke oil should be very good stuff. 

Absolutely still true. 

Ask the logging industry up here. 

• Like 1

squonk

I have used it for years. Never an issue in my Stihl equipment.

• Like 2

wallfish

Well, I don't seem to have any issues at all with trufuel but wish we could easily get E free fuel from the pump. We need to travel pretty far for ethanol free gas so I use the trufuel for a season ending tank full so the engine will start after sitting for months. 520, 654, walk behind snow blowers etc. At $20 a gallon it's expensive.

It's exclusively used in the custom bike engine for quite a few years and it always fires right up after sitting from Oct to May while waiting for the Spring engine show, and it always fires right up and runs perfect all summer long. Never drain the tank of fuel and have done this for years. Have never removed the bowl or adjusted the carb either.

There are plenty of little 2 stroke engines here too. (75 ish or so) 90% of them are left with the tanks empty but the unit's I do run are left with trufuel in them and so far so good as they will fire up after sitting a year or two. Chainsaw will fire up no problem after sitting more than a year, just fired up a Homelite circular saw and a C-52 saw the other day after they have been sitting over 2 years with fuel in them. A guy from NY is stopping by to buy them.

• Like 3

Brockport Bill

i started using  E free fuel for tractors about one yr ago -- certainly expensive tho  !! OUCH !!

adsm08

I live near a lake, so I have easy access to marine-grade e-free stuff, but it isn't cheap, runs about $5/gallon most of the time.

I do dump 2-stroke fuel in things a few times a year too though and never have any issues from it. I also mix my own and the biggest problem I ever have with it is the gasoline component going stale.