Sign in to follow this  
Mickwhitt

Oh, for those days!

Mickwhitt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/videos/ce5ln6k62pxo

Goodness me! When I was five years old this was the cost of running a private car for one year.  I can recall my granddad complaining when 4 star went up to 50 pence per gallon, it now stands at around £6.90.

Back then it cost ten pounds a week to run your car, now it's around £74.00. Look at inflation and your ten pounds in 1970 would now be £132.00.  So it has gotten cheaper to run a car! 

Great Scott! Who would've thunk it?

• Like 7

Beap52

When I graduated from high school in 1971 I was earning $2.50 per hour.   Gasoline was ~.25 per gallon sometimes less when there was a gas war in town,  With one hours work, I could buy about ten gallons of leaded regular fuel.  

When I retired last year I was charging $40 per hour.  I had to google gas prices for Missouri to find out that we were paying about $2.70 per gallon in 2023.  With one hours work, I could buy 14.81 gallon of unleaded fuel.

I bought a new 1971 El Camino for $3,688.00. I had to work around 1,300 hours (not including interest paid).  That stock 360 two barrel still gets maybe 10 miles per gallon.  I have to run premium unleaded otherwise it balks. 

I don't know what it would have cost to purchase a  new light duty pickup when I retired last year because I drive a 1992 GMC.  I filled up today and I'm getting 11.69 miles per gallon.

lynnmor
11 hours ago, Beap52 said:

When I graduated from high school in 1971 I was earning $2.50 per hour.   Gasoline was ~.25 per gallon sometimes less when there was a gas war in town,  With one hours work, I could buy about ten gallons of leaded regular fuel.  

When I retired last year I was charging $40 per hour.  I had to google gas prices for Missouri to find out that we were paying about $2.70 per gallon in 2023.  With one hours work, I could buy 14.81 gallon of unleaded fuel.

If you correct for taxes your calculations are way off.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1