953 nut

TRACTOR TRIVIA and other interesting stuff 4/28/2024

Sailman

Growing up on a farm in Iowa I saw many of the Minneapolis Moline, Oliver and even some Cockshut tractors in use. We always had JD, International and Ford but there were a few of the above mentioned ones in use around the area. Had no idea they all ended up in the White Farm Equipment Company. After retirement my dad was coaxed into selling White tractors for a local implement dealership, due to his reputation in the farming community..

• Like 3

WHX??

Uncle Ted must have had a fondness for deer too...:)

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

oliver2-44

It's hard to read, but on the main arm of my backhoe the decal says "White/Oliver"  The 2-44 Industrial Backhoe/Loader was built on an 550 tractor chassis with an Industrial (heavier) front axle.  The transmission was a 4 speed with a forward reverse shuttle. Unfornatualy I bought my tractor for salvage knowing the shuttle transmission had a broken top shaft and front bearing carrier. I replace the shuttle transmission with a transmission from an Oliver 550 farm tractor 4 speed with hi/lo.  I would love to have the shuttle when I do loader work. 

1366381686_oliverlakework.jpg.a25e42383a88a93580f9b704ac1b6aa1.jpg

My boys are grown and married with kids their own this size now.

345429869_oliverandboys.jpg.e513c8950bc729c46ee8a98cf147fc1a.jpg

• Excellent 3

8ntruck

Raymond Loewry was a designer.  His work includes items ranging from toasters and coffee pots to steam and diesel locomotives.  He came to prominence in the 30's when everything needed to have the 'streamlined' look.

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Uncle Ted must have had a fondness for deer too...:)

Uncle Ted began farming with a team of horses my mother bought and his first tractor was an unstyled John Deere GP. That had a little to do with the model tractor on the top he urn containing his ashes. My cousin (Ted's granddaughter) asked her daughter to find a model tractor that looked like the White while she was at Tractor Supply. There were none but she knew he had started tractor farming with a John Deere because her dad had restored the GP a few years ago so she decided he would like it too.

We had a variety of tractors on the farm over the years, brand loyalty only began when Ted was prosperous enough to buy a "new" tractor. The dealer brought a White out to the farm so he could test it out, Ted was so impressed that it never left the farm. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ACman

Unfortunately ,this is just the beginning of all the buyouts of tractor, machinery manufacturers that now all fall under the AGCO brand. 

• Like 2