rmaynard

New Paint Tax in Maryland

rmaynard

Well, now I've heard it all. I guess that I won't be painting any longer. As if the cost of red paint isn't high enough already, now we are being taxed.:angry-screaming:

819902031_IMG_20240426_1723502.jpg.a1584bb9afb51814d65f4fa8fd1c5b3a.jpg

I don't know what the dollar amount or percentage of the tax is. I guess this is a more to follow thread.

• Sad 6

Ed Kennell

Just bought a can of Regal Red at ACE for $9.99 + 6% sales tax.       Three years ago I was buying the same paint at Lowes for $2.99 + 6%.

Is that 3, 30 or 300% inflation ?     :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

SylvanLakeWH

Not only will this tax increase the cost, stores will increase price as well to deal with the required tax in store collection. Curious, will the state indemnify and hold harmless the stores for accepting hazardous waste? I think not. Insurance companies will increase their fees as well to cover this... big difference between new cans in store for sale and people's old hazardous paint waste...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rmaynard
19 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Just bought a can of Regal Red at ACE for $9.99 + 6% sales tax.       Three years ago I was buying the same paint at Lowes for $2.99 + 6%.

Is that 3, 30 or 300% inflation ?     :(

It's a 300% increase.

Ed Kennell
1 minute ago, rmaynard said:

It's a 300% increase.

Great, just wanted to confirm my math.    So, instead of the standard 1.5%, I should expect a 300%  COL increase in my SS check?  :icecream:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

lynnmor

I would expect the Home Depot near the Maryland line to have an increase in paint sales.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard
24 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Great, just wanted to confirm my math.    So, instead of the standard 1.5%, I should expect a 300%  COL increase in my SS check?  :icecream:

That would be good, it's just a dream Ed.

• Sad 1

ri702bill
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I should expect a 300%  COL increase in my SS check?

Ed - no. Instead, you need to recruit young fresh blood into the workforce so that THEY can contribute to OUR Government program where all of us older folks get paid once a month. and we can still get up late, play with tractors and drink beer. 

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
52 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Ed you're really dreaming. Even if we got a 10% increase, we would still be behind the 8 ball.  I don't think PA taxes food, does it? It is only in the last few years that Virginia started to reduce the sales tax per centage on food. Our local elected officials figured a way to get more sales tax money. Our state sales tax is 6 percent, so the village idiots passed a bill that allowed localities to add an additional 5 per cent and called it a meals tax. So, your $1.00 burger that is now a 6 dollar hamburger at Mcd's cost $6.66 and you cannot afford fries with your ordered. Virginia's slogan is "In God we trust and the there is a tax on everything "

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I don't think PA taxes food,

Not if you grow your own....well, I do have to pay the 6% on the fertilizer and seeds.    :wacko:

• Sad 2

lynnmor

I can now fully appreciate the definition of "fixed income" since our tiny pensions have been obliterated in the past three years and will never increase.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

JoeM

We were told here a few years ago to just leave the tops off of the cans, gallons and quart, of paint and let the contents harden. Then dispose in the trash. 

I figure that Maryland thing is a something that puts a politicians uncle or cousin in a CEO position of a paint recycling authority. Big money taking paint cans to the landfill. Raking in the cash baby! You will pay.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rmaynard
17 minutes ago, JoeM said:

We were told here a few years ago to just leave the tops off of the cans, gallons and quart, of paint and let the contents harden. Then dispose in the trash. 

I figure that Maryland thing is a something that puts a politicians uncle or cousin in a CEO position of a paint recycling authority. Big money taking paint cans to the landfill. Raking in the cash baby! You will pay.

I'm close enough to PA that I can buy paint there. It reminds me of a time when we had a governor who threatened to have the State Police randomly stop cars on the weekends coming back into Maryland from tax-free Delaware to see what they had avoided paying sales tax on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

rmaynard
12 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Don't count on it. The new head of Social Security is a former Maryland governor. The one that put an automatic yearly gas tax increase on us before he left office.

• Sad 3

adsm08
24 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

I'm close enough to PA that I can buy paint there. It reminds me of a time when we had a governor who threatened to have the State Police randomly stop cars on the weekends coming back into Maryland from tax-free Delaware to see what they had avoided paying sales tax on.

To be fair, there are very few places in Maryland that you can't be in another state in an hour or less.

• Like 2

953 nut

Let me see if I understand this;  :confusion-confused:    Paint sold in Maryland is more dangerous than paint sold in other states and therefore the state should collect revenue to offset expenses that will only be incurred by the merchant that sells paint in Maryland. The unnamed non-profit trade association of large paint companies will manage this recycling program.        :confusion-shrug:       So I guess the large paint companies will just pull out of Maryland rather than deal with this added layer of bureaucracy, paint stores in Maryland will close and the state will looser sales tax money they had been collecting on paint sales, unemployment among paint sales people will abound and adjoining states will benefit from additional paint sales.        :jaw:         Seems the lawmakers need to have some basic understanding of economics.  

819902031_IMG_20240426_1723502.jpg.a1584bb9afb51814d65f4fa8fd1c5b3a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor
58 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Don't count on it. The new head of Social Security is a former Maryland governor. The one that put an automatic yearly gas tax increase on us before he left office.

It is still 30.5 cents per gallon less than PA.  I have been buying nearly all of my gasoline and diesel fuel in MD for over five years.  Major purchases are made in tax free Delaware, for example a $1000 set of tires saves me $60 and miscellaneous household items perhaps another $12, then I fill up my diesel truck and gas cans saving another $35.   Yes, it costs me about $32 so I save only $75, but I have a nice drive and make a day of it.

• Like 3

rmaynard
19 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Let me see if I understand this;  :confusion-confused:    Paint sold in Maryland is more dangerous than paint sold in other states and therefore the state should collect revenue to offset expenses that will only be incurred by the merchant that sells paint in Maryland. The unnamed non-profit trade association of large paint companies will manage this recycling program.        :confusion-shrug:       So I guess the large paint companies will just pull out of Maryland rather than deal with this added layer of bureaucracy, paint stores in Maryland will close and the state will looser sales tax money they had been collecting on paint sales, unemployment among paint sales people will abound and adjoining states will benefit from additional paint sales.        :jaw:         Seems the lawmakers need to have some basic understanding of economics.  

foot.jpg.84515e1d161ce4c28c1686bc8360fd2d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

formariz

Funny this came up. Yesterday I bought one gallon of solid color stain at HD for my shed. I was shocked at checkout. $50.00. Exactly the same can was $28.00 in 2021.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

JoeM

I think we all know why........but no one is say'n. 

the tail is wagging the dog. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Maybe this will explain why paint cost has risen 100-300%.

Having owned a property in Delaware for 20 years,I came to understand why.

The State of Delaware has no sales tax, very low gasoline tax,  no property tax,   a low 2.2% income tax.  So where does Delaware get their income?

From E.I. duPont, in Wilmington, Delaware  the number one manufacturer of paint and solvents.     Delaware elected officials simply renew duPonts license annually and in return, duPont raises their prices to finance Delaware.

Who pays for Delaware....everyone that buys a can of paint.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Beap52

I am fearful that we will see more and more taxes sneaking into our billfolds.  Our elected officials are getting pretty creative. 

• Sad 2

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Beap52 said:

I am fearful that we will see more and more taxes sneaking into our billfolds.  Our elected officials are getting pretty creative. 

I believe that folks should buy where the taxes and prices are lower, in other words fire the pigs.  But you see it every day with cars lined up at the higher priced places so there is no incentive to keep tax and prices down.  In general we are doing it to ourselves thru true laziness and indifference.

Sailman
7 hours ago, lynnmor said:

In general we are doing it to ourselves thru true laziness and indifference.

......and voting in liberal, progressive, Marxist tax and spend politicians.....duh.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

rmaynard

Let's not get political. Not the intent of this thread.

• Like 1