burnzone

1077 battery ignition, ignition switch options, and adding a solenoid

burnzone

Hello there, I have a 1967 1077 with the Kohler 10hp K241, and battery ignition, and 3 terminal 7263 style ignition switch.

My ignition switch went out a while back, and in researching the correct part number it appears would be the Cole Hersee 95521-B. I have read of others talk about adding a solenoid, to be able to use a different ignition switch that isn't the high current 70a start type like the 7263, so I am trying to find what the best option might be for replacement as well as the correct solenoid.

Could anyone tell me what all is needed for that conversion, please? It's looking like adding a heavy duty starter solenoid, a safety switch, and larger gauge wire, is that correct?

Then if I were to do that, would any of the non heavy duty 3 terminal lawn mower battery ignition switches work in that setup?

Thank you

squonk
Posted (edited)

Here's a wiring diagram for conversion. A std. Ford solenoid will work. Napa ST81SB or equivalent

5b202ef98cc34_wiring-starter-generatorwithbatteryignition.jpg.24ab0ca0cab6d9b8f7d7ffb2a7a42fbc.jpg.46fb3a75d87f654eff02866b761fad6d.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
Posted (edited)

Lots of threads here about converting from direct start to solenoid start. The above diagram gives an excellent overview.

This is a diagram of my rewiring of an K181 to use a solenoid. You can see the wire gauges are noted. Unlabeled wires are 14 ga stranded. Excess wire gauge adds little or no value at the voltage/current levels of our tractors. Clean and solid connections, however, are absolutely essential. This applies to BOTH positive wiring and also grounding.

Ask away if anything seems confusing. Good luck! :)

?do=download&r=63832&confirm=1&t=1&csrfK

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

burnzone

Very nice, thank you squonk, and Handy Don.