WHX??

RIP Dickey

WHX??

Crap Dickey Betts died.

Hell of a guitar player and my Allman Bros. . favorite. 

Dicky

• Sad 9
  • Heart 2

JCM

One of my very favorites. My first album I bought was Eat A Peach, way back. Favorite song, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. @WHX??   RIP Dickey

• Sad 2

tunahead72

Thanks for posting, Jim(s).  I saw the news earlier this afternoon and just couldn't bring myself to post.  I was fortunate enough to see Dickey play and sing as part of the Allman Brothers, in several of the band's various forms, as well as much later with Great Southern.  There's a huge number of great memories going through my brain right now, even got a chance to chat with him and the band for one quick moment back in 2008, just wandering through downtown Phoenixville PA after the show, I'll never forget it.

One thing I came to appreciate many years ago was how influential the ABB was in inspiring younger musicians to develop their skills.  I forget the details, but I remember during the early '90's when bands like Blues Traveler were building their reputations, opening for the Allmans was such a huge treat, BT would finish their set and then just hang out and watch and listen and LEARN.  Dickey was a huge part of that.

RIP Dickey, we'll miss you.

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

rjg854

RIP  Dickey,  your "Ramblin'" days are over.

wallfish

This was on the radio yesterday.

Dickey Betts wrote this about his Native American girlfriend, Sandy "Bluesky" Wabegijig

RIP Mr. Betts

• Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
Posted (edited)

Thanks 'Fish great tune...:handgestures-thumbupright:

Gonna make me &  Tuna :crying-yellow:tho...:sad:

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

tunahead72

Yep...  I'll have to wait until later to listen, you know, when nobody else is home. :(

• Like 1

peter lena

@WHX??  more than agree on  DICKEY  BETTS, awesome  rocking  music , they were the standard , you could feel it in  air , go vinyl  ! pete

• Like 2

tunahead72

I ran across this tonight, thought you guys would enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

WHX??
Posted (edited)

:text-thankyouyellow: Tuna ... I enjoyed it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edit:

Something I did not realize until after watching the vid  that associating or having a black person in a band was disdained by many at the time and in the deep south no less. Leftover segregation from the 50/60s was still happening. 

Just guessing here but that was overlooked by some by how good they were?

Edited by WHX??

tunahead72

Glad you liked that Jim, that video was really enlightening for me too, especially the bit that you mentioned.

I grew up in South Carolina, graduated high school in 1970 (!).  I had a couple of friends who were REALLY into the Allman Brothers early on, and pushed me and anybody else they thought might be interested to listen to the band.  I did, but it wasn't until college that I was able to hear them more often, with like-minded friends, and really start to appreciate what they were about musically, and culturally.  And then I saw them live, and it just accelerated from there.  They didn't just preach the peace, love and understanding sermon, they lived it.  To this day, I still put them at the very top of my "Favorite Southern Rock Bands" list.

• Excellent 2

peter lena

@tunahead72  had a beer with  , EDDIE THE CHIEF  CLEARWATER , in Chicago  , tiny club he was playing , called BLUE HOME CHICAGO ,  was a speakeasy  maybe 20 ft wide inside , slightly longer deep , came right over after his first set , regular guy , just talking , thanked  us for  coming over . we were at a pump service school in town , doing a  maintenance school millwright work exchange , we all basically did the same work , from different parts of the country , had a good time . have to go to the Chicago ,  news tower at night . freight elevator up , to clear glass walls , incredible views of the airport ,  went to a wire rope making  , shop . also went to   PAPPADEAUX  Cajun  seafood , a must stop , also went to , BUDDY GUYS CLUB , incredible  atmosphere , music was to die for . keep listening , pete     

• Like 1

tunahead72
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

... keep listening ...     

Always! :handgestures-thumbupright: