KW88

312-8 starting issue

KW88

I recently picked up a 312-8 as a restoration project and have some questions regarding starting. So I was told when purchasing it needed a battery, which I know is said when there's underlying issues however, with a jump it starts right up, drove it onto trailer and brought it home. I have cleaned all visible ground connections and started replacing parts etc as part of my restoration plan such as solenoid,  starter, fuel pump & filter, plug, belts, air filter... I have yet to uncover the starting issue still and was hoping for some advice. Year is unknown as you can see in the attached pic the numbers are highly illegible. It does have the test switch and indicator lights on the dash and I located the ignition coil on the flywheel yesterday which by eye appears to be in good shape but ordered a new one anyway.  Please let me know if you can think of something I'm missing. 

Thanks!

20240414_113934.jpg

OutdoorEnvy

Offhand I would try to test that the key switch is good.  After that you are likely going to be testing the safety switches and wiring to them.  Do continuity testing to each one, etc.  It's something so keep at it and you'll get it figured out.  Congrats on taking on restore project!  Half the fun is learning on these :)  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

That engine used 1987-1997

Can you read the engine serial number? That would give a rough date.

Download these 5 pages

The idiot lights should have no effect on the problem. The engine should run without them.

KW88
35 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

That engine used 1987-1997

Can you read the engine serial number? That would give a rough date.

Download these 5 pages

The idiot lights should have no effect on the problem. The engine should run without them.

I don't believe the lights would be the problem.  Just thought it might help identify a year.

KW88

Looks like first 2 numbers are 18 which would make it a 1988. 

gwest_ca

An engine made in 1988 could land on a 1988 or 1989 model tractor.

In case there is a difference in the wiring this is 1989

KW88

Good news - I charged up battery and it started!

Bad news - turned it off after a bit and won't restart on its own. Solenoid just clicks and positive battery terminal sparks.

gwest_ca

Sparks are caused by a loose or dirty connection that is eating up most of your power.

Just enough getting through to allow the solenoid to click when the magnet is activated but not enough to power the starter motor.

• Like 2

Rick3478
9 hours ago, KW88 said:

Good news - I charged up battery and it started!

Bad news - turned it off after a bit and won't restart on its own. Solenoid just clicks and positive battery terminal sparks.

Wherever the spark came from is a problem.  Disassemble and clean to shiny metal, replace anything questionable, and re-connect.  Wire lug goes right against the terminal, no washers between (a common mistake).

KW88

Anyone know how to test the neutral safety switch? Or if there a replacement part #?