Daniel_Heetderks

new carburetor

Daniel_Heetderks

I need to get a new carb for my 11hp briggs since the old one is worn. Should I drop $160 on an oem carb, or buy a cheaper one (say off Amazon), for $30-$40. I know the quality of a cheaper will obviously be not as good, but is it good enough to get the job done?

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Daniel_Heetderks said:

I need to get a new carb for my 11hp briggs since the old one is worn. Should I drop $160 on an oem carb, or buy a cheaper one (say off Amazon), for $30-$40. I know the quality of a cheaper will obviously be not as good, but is it good enough to get the job done?

It might be worth a try, mixed results are reported and you might get lucky. 

If your downtime isn't a problem, you might want to post a photo clearly showing the issue, maybe we can find a way to repair it.

• Like 1

kpinnc

I would say if OEM is available, stick with it. I'm an oddball I guess because I've had very good luck with aftermarket Kohler carbs- but OEM is no longer available in that case. 

If nothing else, an OEM carb would have parts that are interchangeable with the old carb. With a new carb, you can still use the tractor and rebuild the old carb as a spare when you have time. If down the road something breaks... Well you see my point. 

Good luck either way. 

• Like 1

Achto
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Daniel_Heetderks said:

I need to get a new carb for my 11hp briggs since the old one is worn. Should I drop $160 on an oem carb, or buy a cheaper one (say off Amazon), for $30-$40.

If this is a Flow-Jet carb, I would just buy the after market one. It should leak after the first year of use, just like the factory ones do.:ychain:

Truth be known I've seen pretty good results with the after market Flow Jets

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Daniel_Heetderks
On 4/15/2024 at 8:29 AM, Achto said:

If this is a Flow-Jet carb, I would just buy the after market one. It should leak after the first year of use, just like the factory ones do.:ychain:

Truth be known I've seen pretty good results with the after market Flow Jets

Is there any brand in mind? I was just looking at the cheapo chinese no-name ones off Amazon

Achto
6 minutes ago, Daniel_Heetderks said:

I was just looking at the cheapo chinese no-name ones off Amazon

Have a friend with many Simplicity tractors running just fine with the cheep China carbs from Amazon.

• Like 1

WHX??
Posted (edited)

Just bought this one 18 clams in the jungle. Have yet to put gas to it.

I've blown 18 bucks in worse ways and for this free tractor  is  appropriate. There is no name brand for off shore ones. 

According to our Simplecity bro there are three sizes of flo jets. 

Might have been able to save the old one at 40 for a rebuild kit. 

Be advised the mounting screws are 6mm. Not a concern at all. 

20240507_204849.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Excellent 1

Daniel_Heetderks

Well I got the carb on my tractor and when i start it the engine revs all the way up and the throttle doesnt do anything. Anyone know what's with that? I adjusted the screws to the same positions as the ones on the previous carb.

Rick3478
3 hours ago, Daniel_Heetderks said:

Well I got the carb on my tractor and when i start it the engine revs all the way up and the throttle doesnt do anything. Anyone know what's with that? I adjusted the screws to the same positions as the ones on the previous carb.

Sounds like governor issue.

Wayne0
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Rick3478 said:

Sounds like governor issue.

Yup! Make sure all your springs are connected correctly.

Edited by Wayne0

Daniel_Heetderks
Posted (edited)

found out the plate on the end of the throttle shaft is on the wrong way. A common problem for those cheap aftermarket carbs from what I've heard.

Edited by Daniel_Heetderks