PWL216

Recommendations for Pressure Washer

PWL216

Probably time for me to stop borrowing my brother-in-law’s pressure washer and buy my own. I’m thinking a max budget of $350ish. Looking for recommendations.  Thx!

8ntruck

What are you planning to pressure wash?

• Like 1

ri702bill
13 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

What are you planning to pressure wash?

That is what will determine if you can get by with a 1900 ish PSI electric version, on if you need to go to a higher pressure gas model. Both have pros and cons.

Electric - lighter weight, no gas to fill & drain, About 2000 PSI max. Lower (2 to 4) GPM water usage.

Gas - Heavier, can vary from 2000 to 4000 PSI if it has an adjustable regulator. Needs tank & carb drained at end of season Higher - up to 9 GPM of water. No start due to poor storage...

Storage - never leave a pressure washer, electric or gas, in the garage or shed over the winter. Internal ice WILL crack & ruin the pump....

• Like 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Storage - never leave a pressure washer, electric or gas, in the garage or shed over the winter. Internal ice WILL crack & ruin the pump....

You can run RV antifreeze thru it before storing.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

PWL216

I’d be pressure washing the tractors, cars, house, patio…

thx

ML3

I have both electric & gas pressure washers. The electric one does most every job I need. My gasoline pressure washer is an older Craftsman model from back when they still made decent tools.  4200psi so it's very capable of damaging siding, wood on decks, even cement. It will take most paint off surfaces. 

Last summer I purchased a new Stihl RE110 Plus electric pressure washer. At that time I recall it was on sale. Last time I was at my local equipment store (former Wheel Horse dealer) where purchased I noticed the price went up. I do business with them as they are a local, family owned company, provide great customer service, & they like hearing bout my Wheel Horses! The price wasn't much more than a box store or Amazon private branded model. I really like the integrated hose reel. 

Screenshot_20240413_022647_Yahoo Search.jpg

• Like 2

ranger

Something to be aware of with gas powered units. When in idle/bypass mode, ie, engine running, but lance trigger not pulled, the water being ‘bypassed’ around the pump will get very hot and can damage seals etc. most electric units switch off when trigger is released and pressure spikes. Then back on when trigger pulled again. Gas units usually have a ‘thermal’ safety valve, which blows if water overheats, (usually a one shot affair). You then have to replace the valve! So it’s not advisable to allow the unit to run on bypass for more than a couple of minutes or so before pulling the trigger again! Large commercial units probably bypass water back into a feed tank, so water is constantly flowing through the pump and keeping it cool.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Trina picked up an electric one a  few years ago made by Sun Joe. 

Inexpensive box store brand with good reviews. 

It's been more than enough to meet her/our needs.  

We can run hot water through it and with or without certain degreasers. Comes with multiple tips for spray angles.  

For cleaning our equipment and vehicles it's been an excellent addition. 

• Like 1

lynnmor
Posted (edited)

If you will be dragging the washer over rough terrain, get one with large wheels.  I have two and the large wheel one gets used whenever the job entails moving it.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

CCW

First one I had ten years ago was a HD cheapo model.  Around $100 then.  Pump died after the first year.  Purchased a NorthStrar from Norther Tool and been happy with it.  Used primarily to wash the deck. 

• Like 2

wallfish

Some other options

You can always belt drive one off your WH and purchase the pump. They sell belt driven pumps but they're expensive. But a direct drive pump can be done with a shaft and a couple of bearings.The vertical and horizontal pumps are made different so a horizontal pump is easier.

A tank can be rigged using a plastic drum on a trailer to make it fully remote from a hose connection.

Find a used one that someone left ethanol gas in and doesn't start, it's just a carb clean in most cases.

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

squonk
Posted (edited)

My wife bought me a cheapie Hyper Tough Wally World Special electric washer for Christmas in 2014. Still going. Multiple tips including the spiral buzzing paint buster tip. I've run hot water through it along with Purple Power, Simple Green and Dawn dish soap

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Handy Don
13 hours ago, PWL216 said:

I’d be pressure washing the tractors, cars, house, patio…

thx

Fair warning: with a pressure washer wand in hand, EVERYTHING starts to look like it needs washing--keep pets, children, and spouses out of sight!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Handy Don
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We can run hot water through it and with or without certain degreasers.

1 hour ago, squonk said:

I've run hot water through it along with Purple Power, Simple Green and Dawn dish soap

Hot water. Hmmm.

Is your location plumbed with HW at the spigot?

• Like 1

squonk
3 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Hot water. Hmmm.

Yes and no. Just one line from the house to the shop. I have valves in the basement so I can turn off the cold feed to the line and open another to supply hot water to the shop. Tankless water heater so once I get the cold water out of the line it's hot and stays hot for as long as I run it. I only use the hot if I have to clean something really nasty

• Like 4

Handy Don
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, squonk said:

Yes and no. Just one line from the house to the shop. I have valves in the basement so I can turn off the cold feed to the line and open another to supply hot water to the shop. Tankless water heater so once I get the cold water out of the line it's hot and stays hot for as long as I run it. I only use the hot if I have to clean something really nasty

Aha! Clever idea. I’ll give that some thought. Thanks.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

953 nut

I have had good luck with my ten year old Troy Bilt. The extra cost for the Honda engine was well worth the money in my opinion. If you are doing decks, sidewalks etc, the B&S Rotary head is a must. It gives a nice uniform finish and if you are working next to flower beds it won't blow mulch and dirt around.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rotary+pressure+washer+attachment&rlz=1C1JZAP_enUS981US981&oq=rotary+pressure+washer&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqDwgDEAAYQxiABBiKBRjkBTIRCAAQRRg5GEMYgAQYigUY5AUyBwgBEAAYgAQyDwgCEAAYQxiABBiKBRjkBTIPCAMQABhDGIAEGIoFGOQFMg8IBBAAGEMYgAQYigUY5AUyDwgFEAAYQxiABBiKBRjkBTIKCAYQABiABBjkBTIKCAcQABiABBjkBTIKCAgQABiABBjkBTIKCAkQABiABBjkBdIBCTE4NzI5ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

100_4733.JPG.3c0319672e9c018e18788f07d2803dd0.JPG100_4735.JPG.bf8d08d7b4df422cedfb461c607c0715.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
2 hours ago, squonk said:

His wife makes him bath in the yard when he makes her mad. Pressure washer makes him dance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

ranger

Hot water pressure washers pump cold water into heating coils to heat it. Some cold water units do actually state a maximum temperature for feed water. Be careful that you don’t damage the pump by feeding it with water that’s too hot!

• Like 3

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Hot water. Hmmm.

We have a utility sink in the basement that has a standard garden hose connection.  

• Like 1

kpinnc
9 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Fair warning: with a pressure washer wand in hand, EVERYTHING starts to look like it needs washing--keep pets, children, and spouses out of sight!

Nothing funnier than the truth! :D

• Like 2

c-series don

My power washer has an 8hp Honda with a CAT pump I forgot how many GPM and PSI it is but if I put that spinney thing nozzle on the end it will definitely strip loose paint with ease. However sometimes I don’t feel like dragging it out to set up just for something small. I’d like to mount a 220v one near my garage door and have the hose on a reel. Turn on the water, flip a switch and you’re ready to go! We had one at a place I used to work and it was very handy. At first I was skeptical but after I used it once I wanted one. I thought about selling the gas one to help fund the purchase of the electric, but I need to wash my house occasionally and I’m thinking there’d be too much friction loss by the time I got to the other end of the house coupling hoses together? I’d need over a hundred feet of hose. Thoughts? 
 As a volunteer firefighter I’ve taken many classes on friction loss GPM, length of run, pressure, blah blah. After doing this for almost 36 years, when the you know what is hitting the fan I’ve yet to see anyone break out a chart and say “Hang on, I need to figure out the friction loss!” Obviously the trucks have gauges to tell you what is going on, incoming and outgoing pressure. Most importantly is the guy on the nozzle has the correct pressure and this is done with experience and radio communication. Sorry if I got a little off course there 😂

• Like 3

Handy Don
5 hours ago, c-series don said:

oo much friction loss by the time I got to the other end of the house coupling hoses together

Definitely will see low pressure being an issue if using ½” or ⅝” hose.

I’ve got my water pressure regulated to 30-ish psi and I use a single-piece ¾” hose that seems to do ok with a nozzle. I’d have no hesitation using it with my 2.7 GPM pressure washer.

I can see how handy it would be to have a semi-permanent washer set-up. In our area, of course, it’ll expect you to flush/fill with RV antifreeze before any really cold weather!

• Like 2

PWL216

Quick update…I bought a new Craftsman 1900 PSI Electric. A brand new one came my way for $80 so I bought it. Thx for all the suggestions.

FDA88BA7-69FF-41FD-B401-51ABD7901766.jpeg

• Thanks 1