TJN

Run belt size

TJN

Hi All!  I have a 1973 1 460-8, 12hp automatic (no name horse). I'm in the process of restoring her, I replaced the ORIGINAL 51 year old drive belt with a 5/8"x84". This is what the "book" recommends, the idler pulley rides on top of the BELT, (normally). It is connected to the parking brake handle which should be DOWN when underway. When pulled up, it becomes the parking brake. The belt is SO tight that the pulley is in the UP position! (and won't go down). I've been thru this two weeks ago, so I ordered TWO belts, 84" and 85". I also tried the 85" belt and it allows the idler to run UP (brake position) or DOWN (run position) but it's fairly loose in the run position. The original belt measured 851/8" and surely was a bit stretched. I bought the tractor new so I know the belt is original and NO CHANGES in layout have been made. I can't drive her now as the front end is off but I guess I'll leave the 85" belt on as it's closer to the original one. Moral of the story is : DON'T BELIEVE THE "BOOK"!  Anyone else ever run into this PITA situation?  Wheel horse's are fun!   TJN

ebinmaine

Hi Tom. 

Here's a quote from your other thread:

"Ebinmaine, the belts (84"&85") are "USA/oem, 3 year warranty" . Should arrive in about a week. The belt will be routed around the trans and electric clutch pulleys, also UNDER the idler pulley as the former factory pulley did.  That pulley is used to tighten the belt when moving (handle down) and as an "emergency" brake when pulled up. All of the sources that I've seen recommend an 84" belt, so I'm repurchasing same AGAIN. I'm also purchasing an 85" belt as insurance. One or both may be returned in favor of probably an 86" belt. As previously stated the factory belt (51 years old) measured 851/8", and surely was stretched a bit.  The newly ordered belts are also Kevlar based. I hope that this answers your questions. Tom"

I've personally had manual transmission tractors that would have issues with non factory belts but yours is a Hydro. 

I'm new to hydros. 

Are the belts you ordered original Wheelhorse belts? 

Have you measured your old belt to verify against the new ones?

wallfish

A picture is worth a 1000 words. (With the belt guard off.  If the original belt was 85.25" then an 85" belt of the same width would work.

Was anything ever changed from factory original?

Is the spring that tightens the belt connected properly and still have plenty of tension?

• Like 1

Lee1977

Have you checked the transmission to frame, the frame some times cracks in that area and could efect the belt. 

daveoman1966

I have (had) a Wheelhorse 1-0460 ...  1973 No Name 12hp Auto.  Your best bet to resolve and belt problems is to get the OEM V-belt which is #7478.  These older Wheelhorse tractors had proprietary pulleys ---requiring PRECISE fit of V-belts to PERFECTLY match the geometry of those pulleys.  Get the OEM belt 7478 and be done with it....may be a few bucks more but should solve your problems----PRESUMING original pulleys are on the tractor.     

V Belt Geometry.JPG

7478 BELT.JPG

• Like 1

squonk
Posted (edited)

You don't need an OEM belt. I just put a new 5L840 belt on my 76 C 160 hydro . Basically the same tractor. Works fine. The belt that was on it was a 5L840. Sounds like you got something routed wrong.

The 7478 belt crosses to a 5L840

Another possibility. Did the 84" belt you get actually say 84 on the belt? People return belts and get the sleeves mixed up all the time. Make sure it's an 84" belt. Also. Did you buy a "B84"? A B84 is actually a 81" belt.

Here is a picture of my tractor with the 5L840 belt. Parking brake in the on position.

171233124997457424932190635671.jpg.46d0d51291ea8780b1d9646649f8f43c.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

TJN

Messrs ebinmaine, wallfish, lee1977, daveoman1966, squonk, Hey guys many thanks for the responses!  I'll try to answer in order to your posts.  ORIGINAL (REALLY) belt measured 851/8". With park brake on the 84"belt is TOO TIGHT, (handle won't go down). With 85" belt it WILL go down, (brake off). Belt then COULD be tighter, but looks like original belt did. I don't see any cracks, ANYWHERE. EVERY part is original (I bought it new). Belts are Marked 5L840 & 5L850.  The 5L840 is cross referenced with the stock #7478,  but is TOO damn tight.  I'll stay with the 85" belt. With the brake OFF (handle down) the 85" belt looks like it has more slack than necessary, but so did the original one and it didn't slip!  The 84" belt is so tight that the brake handle will only stay in the up (on) position. NO way to push it down. Thanks again for the info, the no name horse and I will sleep better tonight!  Wheel horse's are fun!   Tom

• Like 1